Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any one has added a suspension fork to a Raleigh XXIX SS? If so how did it affect the handling and ride of the bike? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I put a Fox F29 on my '08 XXIX and i love it!
Rigid was cool and all, but having broken my back last year, it was not digging the pounding of a rigid fork. So I bought the F29 100mm and immediately lowered it to 80mm.

I had measured A2C and was all concerned that the F29, even at 80mm, would be too tall and jack up the handling. I also looked into getting the F29 G2 version (off a Gary Fisher with G2 geometry), etc. etc. I'm sure you could find posts with all my questions/concerns.

But it turns out none of those concerns played out, and I'm glad I bit the bullet and went with the F29. It didn't change the handling, maybe it has a different rake/offset than the rigid fork that makes up for the A2C difference, or it just sags and is about the same A2C.

My only beef is that after multiple oil changes (first to get the height right, then to get the lockout working), the damper hasn't felt the same. I took it to the guys at the Fox tent at Sea Otter, and all they told me was to slow my rebound, and maybe use less air. I had played with rebound and air pressure quite extensively, and that DEFINITELY wasn't the problem. No matter what speed the rebound is at, the fork only seems to damp impacts that make the wheel leave the ground. When I push down on the fork while rolling along the pavement, it just bounces like a wet noodle.
Sorry for the sidetrack, and don't let that discourage you from the fork, it's probably just a problem with mine.

But yeah, a suspension fork on the XXIX is nice :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.