Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
There's more chance of hitting it with your knee or face when crashing. It's best to cut to very near minimum requirement for best safety, or an inch or so above the stem if not yet sure about bar height.

·
RIP Friendgirl
462 Posts
Don't Cut It

You may like the rise in position plus once cut you can't go back.

I would go (and am using) 30mm of spacers between HS & stem. YMMV

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Bordershy said:
You may like the rise in position plus once cut you can't go back.

I would go (and am using) 30mm of spacers between HS & stem. YMMV
30mm of spacers? Really?

I would cut it. Compromising safety/comfort for the ability to provide more "resale" value is not smart in this day and age. Forks only last year to year for most people anymore and you have this one used already. I say make it as comfortable as possible. In the end, that might include 30mm of spacers but you only need a 5-10mm spacer above the top cap.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
There isn't a single thing....

wrong with leaving extra steerer tube on the fork. I and thousands of others have been doing it for years! I usually leave between 25 to 30mm extra to begin with to facilitate changing stem positions and fine tuning the fit and riding position. Once I've got it dialed I may cut it down a bit. Just depends on where the stem ends up. I usually try to keep it down to no more than 25mm above the stem. If I really like the bike and fork combination and don't plan on selling the fork before it dies then I'll do a permanent cut.

I've NEVER made contact with the steerer tube with my knee(s), hit it during and endo, or anyother crash that's happened. I could see the concern if you were leaving more than an inch or so of steerer on the fork and it extended above the level of your bar. But an inch to an inch and a quarter won't hurt a thing.

Go ahead if you wan't to. It gives you a wider range of fit adjustment, and it can help in making the fork more saleable (not increased resale value) as the longer steerer tube will allow it to fit a wider range of frame sizes. The more frames the fork will fit the better the chances that you can sell it.

Your, choice.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
derby said:
There's more chance of hitting it with your knee or face when crashing. It's best to cut to very near minimum requirement for best safety, or an inch or so above the stem if not yet sure about bar height.
I don't buy the safety bit. Too many people have been screwed when they wanted to transfer the fork to another frame, wanted to raise their bars, etc. OK, yeah anything more than an 1.5" you should cut it, but otherwise, leave it alone.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I should have asked this a different way, how about what is the max amount of spacers you should run. Mine does have the factory amount of spacers on it now below the stem, so if I do keep the extra inch then that would be that much more in spacers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.