Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just have to switch my lefty over to my Rize frame from my Prophet frame. Lefty Max 140 TPC (not a bonded clamp lefty)

I just wanted to check to see if there was anything weird I should watch out for. I looks like I just take off the stem, losen the top clamp around the steer tube and Lefty, then pull.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
hey, did that work out alright...i've seen a pic of the rize, it looks like the headset is internal..is this correct? sure love a pic of your new frame...thanks

·
Scalpel Fan
606 Posts
I had difficulty pushing the steerer tube past the lower headset bearing. I used a washer, bolts, and allthread and a dead blow hammer to get the steerer past the lower bearing. The SI stems are much easier to remove.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my internet has been bad. I hope this posts

I did have atime with the stear tube at the bottom bearing. I put a little scotch brite on a rod and clean around the tube. Then a little Phil wood oil dribbled down, then a malet handle and it was out.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
adamantane said:
hey, did that work out alright...i've seen a pic of the rize, it looks like the headset is internal..is this correct? sure love a pic of your new frame...thanks
It is internal, but you just pop the bearing out of their Prophet cups and put them in the Rize headset.

I will post pic when I have finished. Hopefully tonight

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
ziscwg said:
It is internal, but you just pop the bearing out of their Prophet cups and put them in the Rize headset.

I will post pic when I have finished. Hopefully tonight
hey thanks...yeah please post a pic of that if you can..i know you want to ride and all...my thinking is that the rize internal cups will give about 1/2 inch extra clearance between the top of the front tire and the bottom clamp...which means good things for 650B adapting...of course those new internal SI cups on your rize will probably be rather expensive from cannondale

i'm assuming they will fit in the prophet head tube...i guess the rize is 1.5 HT

come to think of it, since your using the lefty from a prophet, will you have more steer tube coming out the top since the cups are internal, do you need a spacer for the stem

sorry, a little too interested i guess

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
adamantane said:
hey thanks...yeah please post a pic of that if you can..i know you want to ride and all...my thinking is that the rize internal cups will give about 1/2 inch extra clearance between the top of the front tire and the bottom clamp...which means good things for 650B adapting...of course those new internal SI cups on your rize will probably be rather expensive from cannondale

i'm assuming they will fit in the prophet head tube...i guess the rize is 1.5 HT

come to think of it, since your using the lefty from a prophet, will you have more steer tube coming out the top since the cups are internal, do you need a spacer for the stem

sorry, a little too interested i guess
No spacer needed, exact fit with no problems except a bad bearing that was replaced.

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Carbon Bicycle handlebar

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Carbon Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
ziscwg said:
No spacer needed, exact fit with no problems except a bad bearing that was replaced.

View attachment 464821

View attachment 464820
i guess that headset will only fit in a rize...thought you might have a bit more steer tube sticking out at the top since you loose 3/8 inch with the internal headset over the prophet

·
Scalpel Fan
606 Posts
adamantane said:
...thought you might have a bit more steer tube sticking out at the top since you loose 3/8 inch with the internal headset over the prophet
The distance between the clamps should be constant on all Leftys. The older frames (like my 06 scalpel) and a shorter headtube and the external headset cups on the top and bottom of the head tube. The newer frames (like my 09 29er) have a taller headtube w/ the bearings pressed directly into the head tube. The overall height of the assembled headtube is identical between the two. That is why you don't have any extra sticking out of the top on the steerer w/ the newer frames.

This photo better explains it.

Basically identical Leftys in the 2 different styles of headtube.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Quentin said:
The distance between the clamps should be constant on all Leftys. The older frames (like my 06 scalpel) and a shorter headtube and the external headset cups on the top and bottom of the head tube. The newer frames (like my 09 29er) have a taller headtube w/ the bearings pressed directly into the head tube. The overall height of the assembled headtube is identical between the two. That is why you don't have any extra sticking out of the top on the steerer w/ the newer frames.

ahh, thanks for that, the mystery is solved...i had finally thought about the headtube on the way to work...now, if you put the internal headset into the smaller headtube frame...you would have more space between wheel and headtube..but then not enough clamp area for the engineers i guess...thanks for that picture, 1000 words

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quentin said:

Look how clean that garage is!!!!!!:eek:

·
Scalpel Fan
606 Posts
Ha, my garage normally messier. Right now it has tools all over the place from some yardwork that was on the Honey-Do list from the weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts