Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
AZ Biker Chick
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rode up here in the snow before - was a hoot! Alas - never heard anything so only brought snow gear this time. You guys are too fortunate!! If it snows - f-it go hit the slopes or b/c. If it don't f-it, grab the bike and head out. If the snow melts - f-it, grab the Kayak and head to the play park! Ahh, heaven! :thumbsup:

·
AZ Biker Chick
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NICE! FInger is actually whole again! Didn't think it was going to be. Suprised you could tell the chunk was missing. The AZ MTBR crew was upset that the pic was blurry. ha ha

Off to the slopes - no Wolf Creek this time. Scored a 4pack pass for Purgy only $140!

·
Registered
9 Posts
moab trails are superior to anything we have in the gj area. go forth and ride! slickrock is probably mostly rideable but the rest is a lot like gj as far as snow cover... except the moab trails are better whether they are under snow or dry so... skip gj altogether. I ride here all the time just because I am a masochist and hate myself so much!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kokopelli - Trail conditions

Mary's is rideable to just past horsethief. ... There is lots of snow still past horsethief.

Rustlers is rideable 100%

We rode down the road to the West side of Mary's / Mack / More Fun, and none of the afforementioned looked like fun, so we rode the road back. We didn't try to go down to Troy's / Collarbone.

All in all, not a lot of rideable, but if your dying to get out like we were, there is a little bit available. Pretty fun and absolutely gorgeous as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Further Information

Don't really know. There was only a few sets of tracks down, so we assumed that it was not packed enough to ride. I know it sounds crazy, but there is 6" - 12" of snow on the trail at that point. If you have a packed trail it is fun, if not ... not so much.

BTW, temp is currently 7. Not much melting going on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rustler's has a single track that is packed, from Hikers, XC, etc... Mary's has two single tracks packed. It kind of looks like someone drove up it. The packed single track is great, fall off it, and you are making fresh tracks. It is deep, so temp really doesn't matter, you are going to break through all but the packed single tracks. As far as the trails being open, I don't know if there is any official closed season for these trails.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good enough to feed the fix

It's cold enough today with the slight cloud cover that the dog and I didn't take off till after noon and had great conditions. The hard pack is thick enough in most places that I think it will hold up for awhile. Nice traction, with very few sections of ice.

A few shots that confirm fasterdonkeys earlier report:

Out of the house equals happy dog:

Obligatory bike in the snow pic:

Choices, choices. As I got further along Mary's the snow was deep enough that I'd occasionally catch a pedal:

Nice day to be out and good conditions made it even better!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Bull_D said:
thanks for the pics......guess that won't be melting by next week :-(
No. It's been crazy cold here. Usually we get a bunch of 40-50 degree days in the winter and everything usually melts off in a day or two. Not this winter. I'm not looking forward to opening my Dec. heat bill!

I haven't even considered taking the bike out. I've been trying to get out hiking and even running (I HATE RUNNING) till it warms up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.