Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 25$ a tube, Magura Fork-Meister Grease is pricey. I want to make sure that it isn't just a re-branded Li grease or something. Anyone know just how "special" this grease is?

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow,, "shocked" that none of the esteemed experts on this forum are able to enlighten.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Anything special with Fork-Meister Grease or is there an off the shel alterna...

Judy Butter is my fork grease of choice. I've heard Slick Honey is a great product, too.

·
Registered
663 Posts
At 25$ a tube, Magura Fork-Meister Grease is pricey. I want to make sure that it isn't just a re-branded Li grease or something. Anyone know just how "special" this grease is?
I doubt it's lithium grease because that doesn't play well with some types of plastics.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Judy Butter is my fork grease of choice. I've heard Slick Honey is a great product, too.
That judy butter was known to swell bushings on some forks back in the day. Use at your own risk.
Slick honey is very good, slickoleum is the same stuff sold for different purposes.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've got a tub of Stendec Easy Glide fork grease, which feels like silicone grease, and similar to RSP ultraslick.
I wouldn't be surprised if most of those products are more-or-less the same.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Anything special with Fork-Meister Grease or is there an off the shel alterna...

That judy butter was known to swell bushings on some forks back in the day. Use at your own risk.
Slick honey is very good, slickoleum is the same stuff sold for different purposes.
Interesting. Which forks?

·
otb club member
2,971 Posts
I believe this is the new grease that Magura uses in place of oil bath lubrication? If so, there is a bigger question than what grease to use. Over the last few years Magura kept lowering the recommended amount of oil because their very poor seals were notorious leakers. It got to the point where the factory was recommended 2.5cc/ml oil in each side, which is hardly enough to do the job. Using our seal kit, which has a good, dedicated oil seal, (ENDURO FORK SEALS FOR MAGURA® 32mm FORKS) you can run 10-15cc of bath oil in each leg. This is a much better way to lubricate the seals and bushings. On the page linked above there is complete seal change video provided. If you decide the make the change to splash-bath oil, then the only decision you need to make regarding grease is which suspension assembly grease to use. We recommend Rock 'n' Roll Super Slick Grease, but Slick Honey is also good.

Edit: Fixed post above to reflect that Magura was actually recommending 2.5ml of oil in the lower legs before they abandoned oil and went with the grease system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts