Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been stuck on the trainer up at Fort Drum for the better part of two months now.

My last outdoor ride was a Strava KOM in Virgin, UT, back in early January. It was incredible. And that had nothing to do with the Strava; I was outside, riding a bike. It made me smile.

Please, I beg of you: is anything rideable between Rochester and Albany? Or points south, off 81?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Between Rochester and Albany is quite the distance. If I'm not mistaken, look into Oneonta they are supposed to have some very good trails

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ask because I want first hand experience/information.

I'm willing to drive two plus hours from Syracuse to ride on an actual mountain bike trail.

Is there anything that meets that description, rideable today?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Lots of places to ride a fat bike. Just go early am or night and the crust riding is fantastic.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any updates for this weekend?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any updates for this weekend?
The trails just north of Albany (Malta-Saratoga area) are a little muddy but theyre in riding condition. its faster (time and distance) to take the back roads from Ft Drum to the Albany area. Each time i took this trip (about 50 times to date), it would take me about 2 - 2 1/2hrs, vs 3+ hrs going the interstate.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The trails just north of Albany (Malta-Saratoga area) are a little muddy but theyre in riding condition. its faster (time and distance) to take the back roads from Ft Drum to the Albany area. Each time i took this trip (about 50 times to date), it would take me about 2 - 2 1/2hrs, vs 3+ hrs going the interstate.
I don't believe this is possible. Any trails that are clear of ice and snow at this point will be extremely soft and would be damaged by riding them now. Give the trails a while to dry up. The attached picture is from a ride last Thursday in Saratoga. Still a good six inches of snow in the woods at that time.
IMG_20140327_114522_765 (577x1024).jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
i was on a few trails over the past 2 weeks to see how they are, and they were in riding condition-yes it could lead to damge with constant use right now-but it can be done, even without a Fat bike

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have a link to any of them? Still a foot of snow on the ground up here.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Did you checked Thomson park? Stop by Black River Adventurers Shop in Watertown and ask Todd.

Heard that Skytop in Syracuse might be rideable, the other trails near Syracuse are still covered with snow or are swamps; can we skip the mud season?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Trails are far from rideable right now in western NY.

Stay away. Be responsible.
Totally agree. Trails north of Albany are nothing but snow, ice and mud. As usual, the first area that will be ride-able is Pinebush. I might check it out next Monday. After a week of 50+ degree weather, some of it may be ride-able due to the sand base. In the meantime, hammer some bike paths. :)

·
They turned me loose
384 Posts
No way Ithaca trails will be rideable. The woods around here are still full of snow. Shindagin and Hammond are still ski-able!

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you checked Thomson park? Stop by Black River Adventurers Shop in Watertown and ask Todd.

Heard that Skytop in Syracuse might be rideable, the other trails near Syracuse are still covered with snow or are swamps; can we skip the mud season?
I live a couple of blocks from Thompson. Still 6" of snow there.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Any update? Looking for a place to take our NICA kids riding other than the road.
I rode the STEP trails in Malta this morning at 6:30 AM when still frozen to avoid rutting them up. Apparently, several skinny tire riders were not so considerate. If the temp is above freezing, conditions will be a mixture of ice and mud for a while yet.
4-4-14 STEP.jpg

·
Registered
711 Posts
I rode Pinebush today. Some ice and mud but overall very good! Lots of riders out. I'm off tomorrow so will probably go again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts