Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would think the trails are rideable, especially if you get out early in the day while it's still frozen. I live off of north virginia, sort of on the side of peavine, and have been contemplating a mtn bike ride. Took the touring bike out for a spin a couple of days ago, it felt good to get on a bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't been out since the snow flew three or four weeks ago, but I've ridden every winter for the past 10 years, so I have some experience to fall back on. The hills all got between 1-3 feet in that first storm depending on how high you can get and all have received an additional foot or more since, including a 2+ inch dusting last night. Naturally there will have been some melt and compression of the snowpack, but it's been cold to bitter cold every day since the first big snow last month.

My prediction is that anything on Peavine with a south-facing slope should be rideable with a few inches of snow on it, though it might be pretty crusty and though to ride if riders haven't already tracked it up. Anything on a north facing slope, and you'll find a lot of those on just about any Peavine trail, will have unrideable drifts that you will have to push through. We're looking at another 2-4 or more inches of snow tonight (Tuesday the 29th) and tomorrow morning.

I believe Pugdawg suggested riding early when everything is still frozen - that is the gospel for winter riding around here unless you like carrying a 40+ pound bike out of your ride, assuming there's been enough melt to create mudholes lately.

Edit: oops, I see that my comments are already a day late, as you arrived yesterday. Oh well, maybe somebody else will find them useful.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Trails are ridable 20 minutes south of Minden/Gardnerville. I live on the very southern end of the Pine Nuts and everything facing due south is perfect with snow and mud only behind the trees. I would imagine the trails off of Pinenut Road have a little more moisture because they got some lake effect snow off of Tahoe in the last few storms. I bet the riding is great in the mornings when it's frozen, but maybe a little muddy in the afternoons.

I'll give you an update tomarrow if I head that direction.

·
Registered
174 Posts
rrivas11 said:
Is there a place to get maps of the Minden / Gardnerville area? Come up from Vegas a few times a month, but have not ridden up there. One ride in South Tahoe this summer....
Big Daddy's right next to the G-ville/Minden border has maps. The owner Keith Hart is a good guy to talk to.

Basically you take Pine Nut Road off of 395 just south of Gardnerville. Then go left on Pine Nut Road #2 and park in the lot behind the transfer station, not next to it. Take the trail across the road to the east, or head to the gully to the south, pick a trail and ride it. There is a huge intertwined network, just stay on established trails and observe closures(achealogical sites nearby). What kind of trail are you looking for?

The Pine Nuts are under 6" to 8" of snow. I am sure some motorized land users have broken trail by now, but your options will be limited for a while.

Please Do Not ride the Pine Nuts if it's muddy. The soil is mostly clay and easily scarred when wet. If the ground is wet I ride when it is frozen.:thumbsup:

·
Don't Tread on Me
983 Posts
Very muddy!

I tried Evans Creek last week and it was so muddy the wheels couldn't turn after 100 yards. The mud was like glue, literally stopping the tire rotation. We just walked our bikes back to the car, spent $6.00 at the coin operated car wash to see paint again. It can't be any better this week.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Word

Lopaka said:
I tried Evans Creek last week and it was so muddy the wheels couldn't turn after 100 yards. The mud was like glue, literally stopping the tire rotation. We just walked our bikes back to the car, spent $6.00 at the coin operated car wash to see paint again. It can't be any better this week.
Peavine is all clay, it was completely covered in snow earlier in the week, lower flanks are snow free but it will be muddy for some time. You might be able to do some riding out of hidden valley regional park but even that is questionable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
bikedrd said:
Any reports on Peavine. I'm coming down from Tahoe Monday, Feb 1, to work and thought I might try it? Thanks.
While the preceding two posters are correct about the horrible daytime conditions on Peavine (too many similar experiences of my own on that mountain), you should have a window of opportunity tomorrow morning from sunup until about 9-10:00 a.m. to ride your legs off on Peavine. It's supposed to get down to 22 degrees F tonight, plenty cold enough to freeze the trails until they've seen direct sunlight for an hour or two. If you can get yourself into gear early tomorrow morning, you can get a great ride in. The same holds true for Hidden Valley, but unless you are familiar with the trails above the park, you're going to be restricted to some short (2-mile or so) loops in the park proper. I'd go for Peavine and plan to be off the mountain before 9:30.

·
Road Warrior
108 Posts
Thanks

Just wanted to say how helpful post's like this are, especially for those of us just traveling thought the area with limited time. Looking at Peavine from I-80 it would seam the lower trails would be ridable. Glad I checked or I would have wasted an hour that would have better spent riding. (paved trails are better than no trails):)

·
Don't Tread on Me
983 Posts
I did the centenial loop in east Carson City today. No snow on the trail and very good conditions. It sure feels good to be back on a trail!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.