Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, it was switching back to flats on one bike. What about you? Have you ever felt like you were just going through the motions and then, all of a sudden something changed, and you found yourself with new challenges eager to learn, re-learn, etc. Maybe an injury, financial issues, moving, new job? I like to hear people's stories so, if you don't mind sharing...

Posted via mobile

·
Registered
573 Posts
ya, cancer. Laying in a hospital bed wondering if i would ever see a trail again or see tommorrow for that matter. That did it for me. Get in every ride i can now not knowing if i will be back in that hospital. sorry to start you thread this way, don't wanna sound bitter cause i'm not. Just happy to be alive and riding again.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I have never lost the want to MTB, But it was always a bit of a battle to go away with my wife saying so I will just stay home & baby sit then.

Best thing I have done is at the beginning of the year I brought a camper van.

On Monday we went away for 3 days MTB & got back 9pm on Wed night, my wife was in a hurry to get the MTB all cleaned up so quite a late night.

Before we went to bed that night she said I want to go back tomorrow for another 4 days.

I was raining the next day so we just got our gear all ready & will head off for 3 days in a couple of hours.

Some times its more about making it easier for everyone to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
New parts and upgrades are awesome to keep the fire burning. But I know eventually I will run out of stuff to buy if I buy it all at once. SO, I plan for each holiday season to upgrade one aspect of my bike. THis year I got a whole new frontend..AWESOME. Been riding 5 times a week eversence I did it.
THis winter = Drivetrain
Next winter = Brakes
After that = WHeels
After that = ........

THere you go 5 years worth of modivation and planing :)

RIDE!!

PS ~ MTBR during work is awesome "bike Stuff" in the office = fuel to the MTB FIRE!!!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
When I discovered single speeding it quickly became an obsession just as regular mountain biking had been when I first started.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Moving to a place with better access to trails. This time two years ago, I had to drive 30-50 minutes to get to trails. Add time getting my bike and gear loaded and unloaded, and it was probably a once-a-week thing.

Last year, I moved to a new town. I now live ten minutes' ride from some really awesome trails. There's also a riding spot about ten minutes away from my new office. I'm able to ride my mountain bike three times many weeks, and do some running and a little road riding too.

My commute's a bummer, but all life is compromise. I'm thinking about looking around a little and finding a job within riding distance of home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Time in the clink/state-mandated sobriety for me. I rode when I was a kid, but got too busy being a **** up for way too long. Jail time was the perfect wake-up call; I was already clean, just needed something to do in the afternoon to replace sitting on the porch and getting drunk. Quit everything with the one-step program; just found something to replace it. Now bikes run my life. Its a lot like being a drunk, but quite a bit better for you as it turns out.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Time in the clink/state-mandated sobriety for me. I rode when I was a kid, but got too busy being a **** up for way too long. Jail time was the perfect wake-up call; I was already clean, just needed something to do in the afternoon to replace sitting on the porch and getting drunk. Quit everything with the one-step program; just found something to replace it. Now bikes run my life. Its a lot like being a drunk, but quite a bit better for you as it turns out.
I'm the son of an alcoholic /opiate addict who's got 6 years of amazing recovery so I really appreciate you sharing.

Posted via mobile

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
I have never lost the want to MTB, But it was always a bit of a battle to go away with my wife saying so I will just stay home & baby sit then.

Best thing I have done is at the beginning of the year I brought a camper van.

On Monday we went away for 3 days MTB & got back 9pm on Wed night, my wife was in a hurry to get the MTB all cleaned up so quite a late night.

Before we went to bed that night she said I want to go back tomorrow for another 4 days.

I was raining the next day so we just got our gear all ready & will head off for 3 days in a couple of hours.

Some times its more about making it easier for everyone to enjoy.
If your watching your own kid, I don't think you can call it baby sitting.

I said the sitting thing once back when... didn't go over too well with the wife.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Simply riding my bike did it for me. I hadn't been out in over a year as life just got in the way. One day I went for a ride and just thought "holy **** why aren't I doing this more often!".

·
Registered
524 Posts
I rode a 6 inch full suspension bike, it reminded me how much I love my rigid singlespeed. I ride uphill too much for full squish. Also, the legs are coming back, that's getting me pretty stoked.

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
Going from a hardtail XC 29er to a full suspension trail 27.5" totally changed the sport for me. The right bike makes all the difference.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Once in, I've never gotten out, but definitely peaks and valleys in terms of ride stoke. Learning a new skill helps reignite it for me. After putting some work into step ups and side step up to skinnies, among other things, suddenly everything in the forest and city seems doable. Like a kid in a candy store, I am.

Also, spring time trail clean up, turned stunt building. I leave every possible log skinny, log over, etc... in a place where I can ride it. The challenge/reward cycle of learning and trying new things is addictive to me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Went away to college, didn't ride for 2.5 years except a times when I was at home briefly. Finally brought the bike back last spring to school, and it's become the best destressor for me. Now biking is my primary motivation for doing work durning the week

1 - 20 of 50 Posts