Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going up to winston-salem for the a long weekend and i want to know if there is any good freeriding near there. i dont know what the weather is like up there (im coming from southern california) so im not sure if there is anything in good enough condition to ride. i will be staying with me grandparents, so my mom and dad can only take me a short drive in any direction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ahh there's some stuff to ride around here...

I'm going out of town this weekend but I'll be back monday, if you're still around and want to do some riding just PM me...

I know of some cool spots there are also some good XC spots

I assume you have a bike with you right? lol

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Go to the NC trail reviews on this site and check out:

Hobby Park (mostly XC, but has a BMX/jump section that is worth some small fun.)
Salem Lake, I haven't ridden there but I think they have a FR section there (???)

Also, if you can get about a 30-40 ride up to Owls Roost and County Park in Greensboro, the trails are very XC, but I hear County (or is it Country) park has a big old dirt jump section just recently built.

Major FR stuff near Lincolnton at PeeWees, also some great stuff at Tar River and in the RDU area in general, but those are more like 1.5+ hours.

Fun XC trail at Dark mountain in N. Wilksboro.

Look up the reviews on this site and decide for yourself. If it were me, I'd bring a bike.... :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
And Hick Park down near Hickory. Prolly about an hour drive, guarantee you wont run out of challenges there. Not sure what the access situation is.

·
I Just Ride
284 Posts
First do a search of Greensboro, Winston salem or triad in this forum. That should pull up a lot of older post.

Next, go to "the south" section of the ridemonkey forums, there's a lot more people from the area active ridemonkey.

·
Registered
267 Posts
All I've seen at Salem Lake is a dirt road circling the lake... is there something more?

Hobby Park is cool, there's a couple dirt humps there at the parking lot, and the trails are XCish but fun.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bmateo said:
Go to the NC trail reviews on this site and check out:

Hobby Park (mostly XC, but has a BMX/jump section that is worth some small fun.)
Salem Lake, I haven't ridden there but I think they have a FR section there (???)

Also, if you can get about a 30-40 ride up to Owls Roost and County Park in Greensboro, the trails are very XC, but I hear County (or is it Country) park has a big old dirt jump section just recently built.

Major FR stuff near Lincolnton at PeeWees, also some great stuff at Tar River and in the RDU area in general, but those are more like 1.5+ hours.

Fun XC trail at Dark mountain in N. Wilksboro.

Look up the reviews on this site and decide for yourself. If it were me, I'd bring a bike.... :)
thanks for the help. but its starting to look like i cant do very much riding except nearby. i guess ill be on an urban diet for the weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RidgeRunner said:
All I've seen at Salem Lake is a dirt road circling the lake... is there something more? .
Used to be some trails shooting off the dirt road. They were pretty fun. Lots of quick up-down and ravines, and real root infested. Don't know if you are allowed out there anymore.

·
I Just Ride
284 Posts
The pic of my avatar is from a jump at the lake, this jump used to be about 5' high but some wusses keep tearing it down so they can ride it.

The pit got bull dozed so all that stuff is gone. There's still plenty of stuff to ride out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.