Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of Idaho folks here, but I havn't seen much from Montana. I am looking to move to the Bozeman area and would like to see what will be in store for me. Thanks. By the way, here one from Northern VA for that ass.

Attachments

·
Salad Days
762 Posts
1. here's a switchback from lewis an clark caverns (going there today after work!)
2. same trail. Lewis and Clark caverns is dry in the winter. It is 30 miles from bozeman
3. In the Bridger range, just out of Bozeman
4. Sypes canyon, a two mile dirt road ride out of town.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Welcome to the Bozone!

I think that 1st shot "near Big Sky" is the descent from Garnet Mtn. If so it's only about 20 min from Bozy.

I'll tell ya what else you have to look forward to...
Avg of $200+K for a hurriedly built clone-home on a 1/4 acre lot where your bedroom window looks straight into your neighbors living room an average per capita yearly income below $30K. If you'll be building or buying a house take some time to ask around and find out whether there are any builders/companies to avoid. A lot of people have jumped on the general contracting boat in the past few years and don't produce a good project, either because of inexperience or a plain-old take the money and f--- the buyer attitude.

I suppose that income figure includes students though. Sorry to be jaded, but I'm beginning my house search and have been appalled by the way houses are so overpriced here - especially those that aren't anything special. I suppose it's the same with any other town when it starts to attract a large influx of people. My wife is a mortgage lender too so I get to hear all about how people are just affording to make house payments but have to forgoe things like vacation trips and furniture for years on end.

Besides that things are great. The summers, while short, abound with outdoor opportunities. The skiing/boarding and fishing are world class. We're even getting a mtb club this spring!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I am still trying to decide where it would be best for me to start my life after grad school and Montana seems like the only place I want to be right now. Incidentally, the pic was taken at Fountainhead: anyone from NoVa should recognize it.

Thanks again

·
beater
6,142 Posts
I don't know if I agree with that... I don't see any landmarks, so it looks to me like it could be anywhere in the woods out there. I was a Boy Scout there, too, so I've spent no little time in the sticks.

What did you get your degree(s) in? Some spots are certainly better for some industries than others.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I moved here to Bozeman from Northern VA about 4 years ago sight unseen and I will never move back. dir-T was right about the expensive housing and poor wages but the fact that I can look out my window and see mountains year around makes it worth wile for me. After all money is nice but I would rather live somewhere I love and not make alot of money than live somewhere I hate and make a lot. Just think of it this way, you don't need to save up all year to take a vacation. You already live where everyone else pays to visit. Summers in Bozeman are great, long warm sunny days with that chance of getting snowed on.

Here are a few pics from just outside Bozeman Last July. It is at the top of the History Rock trail heading down Fox Creek:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
good spot

That's one of my favorite spots to stop for lunch during a ride. And you're right about accepting the lower wages in exchange to live where others only get to visit (I just hope no one from the Passion Thread "where do you live and why should I move there" is reading this ;) ).

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
bechbd said:
Yeah I love that ride.

BTW: Have anyone heard if Sypes is ridable yet?
Funny you ask because my office window has probably the best view that you can get without living near the trailhead - although that's no substitute for actually being on the trail. Especially with the snow we just got I think anything that's in the shade is still snowy or at least real muddy. There's even a dusting of snow on the trail where it tops out on the ridge above the switchbacks. I'd give it another week of dry warm weather. Have you done any other nearby rides lately? I just started at Pipestone last weekend and it's totally rideable there (apparently it has been almost all year).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.