Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before i sell my Hayes on ebay i'm trying to narrow down what is causing no travel on the brake lever, they move 5mm and are fully locked up.

I'm 99% certain its down to the Goodridge pads the LBS supplied - they look too thick - i'm sure my old pads were about as thick as the below blue backing plates but LBS binned them :(

The disc rubs without even pulling the lever. Ive pushed the pistons out with the brake pads in and eased them back using a screwdrivers the pads/calipers are seated as far back as they go.

So if you happen to have some Hayes brakes and are bored ;) could you take your wheel out and get me a pic of those pads, and if your really bored measure in mm how thick they are.

If you have some new genuine Hayes pads i'd be REALLY interested to see how thick they are!

Thanks!!!

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I agree with Jake. Those pads look huge. And I don't really see the pistons "pooched" way out from their bores as the cause. The piston on the side with the number looks flush with the housing. The one opposite looks a little bit out of the caliper but not unusual. There just doesn't look like enough space for the rotor. If that's the problem, it would be hard to believe Goodridge could make such a miscalculation.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
BFloFoxRider. said:
there should be like a round white/clear and red hayes logo
you put an allen wrench in there and adjust it
ill take a picture give me a few minutes
That's only for the Hayes So1e single piston brakes because the pistons don't self adjust.

The pads are a bit thick. You can sand them down a bit.

G

·
capoz77 said:
How much riding have they had on them?

(this is the answer I was hoping for!)
my pads new were about 75% of the size of those....

when they were new....

original hayes sintered

pic in a few mins

G

·
my pads new were about 75% of the size of those....

when they were new....

original hayes sintered

pic in a few mins
Here we are, ones a tad blurry...

this is a few months... so they are like 75% left ish I dont know

But you can CLEARLY see there's a ton more room, and I like my brakes as touchy as can be without any serious rubbing...

EDIT: man those pics are crapass...

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
they mighta put em in upside down ... cause my dumbass has done this with hayes pads twice now cause im such an idiot even reading the instructions

·
Registered
342 Posts
dude - the brake re-adjust when the pads loose padding - take a the pads out - take a flat head screw driver or something and push against the cylinders inside - or squeeze the brake lever really really really tight for a couple min - and then pump it - the cylinders should readjust. remember - those are self adjusting brakes - as you use them and the pads get worn out the cylinders move inward - so when you get new pads that are ticker you have to move the cylinders back out!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
jamesdc said:
If the pads are really too thick you can de pressurize by letting some fluid out of the lever with that little plastic cap thingy on the master cylinder cover.
Work work if the pistons are already all the way back in their bores (which looks like it is).

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
damion said:
everyone keeps saying push back the psitons, but I do not see any room to do so.

Sand down the pads some.
Well spotted Damion! that is the problem ive got ive pushed the pistons all the way out with no rotor then used a screwdriver to gently ease the calipers all the way back which they are (give or a take a tiny tine millimetre!)

Thanks for the pictures Jake and Nova4x! This now confirms my problem.....

The LBS :(

I specifically asked for Hayes genuine pads.

They fitted them for free as they were doing some other work on bike, went to pick up bike and was told "your pistons are seized"

not having any reason to disbelieve them I accepted this.

I feel like going down there with those pics of genuine Hayes pads and my crap thick goodridge "flawed design" pads and demanding my money back!

(what would you guys do? I don't want to fall out with my LBS over £30 of brake pads?)

I now know if I fitted Hayes genuine as per your pics the lever travel would be back and i've have 100% working brakes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.