Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Thingamejigger
1,279 Posts
The collective will need a bit more detail, what chainset are you going to use and what rear end spacing do you have? Cassette, mech, shifter will be fine.... you may need a new chain depending on length.

Lots of variants depending on your bike/chainset configuration, but I run a non-boost chainring to preference an inboard chainline for lower gears YMMV.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not worried about new chain, really just the 10-50 cassette and GX mech moving over. Need new crank, spindle and was pondering the 3mm offset chainring I have.

Bike is 120mm bb and 197 rear spacing. Guessing I would also fav inboard gears.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The collective will need a bit more detail, what chainset are you going to use and what rear end spacing do you have? Cassette, mech, shifter will be fine.... you may need a new chain depending on length.

Lots of variants depending on your bike/chainset configuration, but I run a non-boost chainring to preference an inboard chainline for lower gears YMMV.
and wouldn't less chainring offset favor the outboard side of the cassette? Meaning offset going toward inboard?

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
I have on my trail bike and going to pass down to my fat bike build. My question is whether "offset" will still be a thing? My trail is a boost config with 3mm offset chainring.
IME, it depends a lot on your cranks and where they end up. If you are doing 197 rear end, the cranksets for these are really too wide for 1x systems. They were designed while 2x was still a thing and the axles are about 10-15mm too wide IME. So you use spacers, etc. I had a bike set up last year where I was getting some significant grinding in the easiest gears, I had to go to more offset, rather than the zero or 3 I was previously using. The cranks isn't exactly static though, since each manufacturer comes out a little bit different. If anything, I'd err on bringing the chainline in closer with 197 rear end and 190 spindle cranks, since it's those easier gears that you'll probably need more on a fat-bike in the winter.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IME, it depends a lot on your cranks and where they end up. If you are doing 197 rear end, the cranksets for these are really too wide for 1x systems. They were designed while 2x was still a thing and the axles are about 10-15mm too wide IME. So you use spacers, etc. I had a bike set up last year where I was getting some significant grinding in the easiest gears, I had to go to more offset, rather than the zero or 3 I was previously using. The cranks isn't exactly static though, since each manufacturer comes out a little bit different. If anything, I'd err on bringing the chainline in closer with 197 rear end and 190 spindle cranks, since it's those easier gears that you'll probably need more on a fat-bike in the winter.
Interesting. So would you recommend 6mm to start or wait and see?

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Interesting. So would you recommend 6mm to start or wait and see?
This document should help: https://res.cloudinary.com/fox-fact..._factors_and_chainlines___16th_April_2020.pdf

With 100mm BBs, you have to run a significant amount of spacers on each side (they should come with the spacers). This also gives you some opportunity to adjust the crank position to help with the chainline, if you really want to go to those lengths. IME, its common to have the ring end up too far out if it's zero.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend 6mm, but that's what I had to go to on my bike. The situation was pretty obvious.

I thought going inwards was negative offset and outward was positive, but whatever.

· Registered
129 Posts
Thanks, looks like a 100mm bottom bracket? I had not heard of them. Looks like nice stuff but don't ship to Canada unfortunately.
The spec sheet for the bike doesn't list any sizing for the BB, just Raceface X-type External Cup. The lighting sucks in my garage (even with a flashlight) and I'm unable to read the writing on the BB. I'll check it out tomorrow when I have the bike out in the sun and let you know if it lists any sizing.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The spec sheet for the bike doesn't list any sizing for the BB, just Raceface X-type External Cup. The lighting sucks in my garage (even with a flashlight) and I'm unable to read the writing on the BB. I'll check it out tomorrow when I have the bike out in the sun and let you know if it lists any sizing.
Thanks! I noticed the bare frame sold lists 100mm so guessing that's what yours would be.

· Registered
50 Posts
year of Canyon? Stock chainring?
Bought new a year ago, 2020 model (before they moved to 26").

Specs here:

• All components
    Frame
    • Frame
      • Canyon Dude CF
      • Material: Carbon
      • Axle Dimension: 12 x 197 mm
      • Brake Mount: Post Mount
    • Suspension Fork
      • Manitou Mastodon Pro
      • Travel: 100 mm
      • Axle Dimension: 15 x 150 mm
    Drivetrain
    • Rear Derailleur
      • SRAM NX Eagle
    • Shift Lever
      • SRAM NX Eagle Trigger 12s
    • Cassette
      • SRAM PG-1230 Eagle 11-50 12s
    • Crank
      • Truvativ Stylo 6K DUB 30T
    • Bottom bracket
      • SRAM Pressfit DUB
    • Chain
      • SRAM NX Eagle 12s
    Brakes
    • Disc Brake
      • Shimano MT420
    • Disc Brake
      • Shimano MT401
    • Brake Rotor
      • Shimano RT10
      • Disc Mount: Centerlock
    • Brake Rotor
      • Shimano RT10
      • Disc Mount: Centerlock
    Wheels
    • Wheel
      • DT Swiss BR 2300
      • Rim Material: Aluminium
      • Inner Width: 80 mm
      • Weight: 1048 g
    • Wheel
      • DT Swiss BR 2300 SH11
      • Rim Material: Aluminium
      • Inner Width: 80 mm
      • Freewheel: 3 Pawl
      • Weight: 1260 g
    • Tyre
      • Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.8"
      • Compound: Addix Performance
    Cockpit
    • Stem
      • Race Face Ride
    • Handlebar
      • Race Face Ride Riserbar
      • Material: Aluminium
      • Rise: 10 mm
    • Grips
      • Lock-On
    Seat
    • Saddle
      • Selle Italia X-Base
    • Seatpost
      • Iridium
    Accessories
    • Pedals
      • None included
    • Manuals and Accessories
      • Canyon Smallbox
      • Content: Manual, Torque Wrench incl. Bit Set, Assembly Paste
    Spare & Wear Parts

· Registered
2,198 Posts
I have on my trail bike and going to pass down to my fat bike build. My question is whether "offset" will still be a thing? My trail is a boost config with 3mm offset chainring.
It'll work fine. Just have to get the right crank/chainring offset. The SRAM "FAT5" cranksets will work...the only difference from the "FAT4" are the chainring is offset outward.

Or get a Race Face crank. Turbine w/ 169mm spindle, and the chainring flipped to have offset outward is a good bet...narrowwer Q and most bikes chain stays will clear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.