Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a titanium hardtail for trail riding and some XC and Adventure races. Anyone with experience on Titus Ti hardtails. The new Eleven has just arrived in my LBS, but was also looking at the Cove Ti Hummer and possibly a Seven Verve as alternatives.

The Hummer is the cheapest option but has good geometry for longer forks, probably making it a good all day trail bike. It's also been around a while and seems to have a lot of good feedback. It's now made by Litespeed.

I checked out the Eleven in the shop, the medium weighs exactly 4lb, geometry is steeper with HA at 70.8, but looks bombproof with the large diameter tubing, wishbone stays and disc only stays. The welding also looks good (I compared side to side with the Seven Sola). Anyone knows how the ride quality, and handling compares to the others?

The Seven Verve would cost about 25% more than the Titus, fully customised, but since I fit almost any medium frame ... it's a bit of a premium.

·
Registered
497 Posts
pingchan said:
I'm looking to buy a titanium hardtail for trail riding and some XC and Adventure races. Anyone with experience on Titus Ti hardtails. The new Eleven has just arrived in my LBS, but was also looking at the Cove Ti Hummer and possibly a Seven Verve as alternatives.

The Hummer is the cheapest option but has good geometry for longer forks, probably making it a good all day trail bike. It's also been around a while and seems to have a lot of good feedback. It's now made by Litespeed.

I checked out the Eleven in the shop, the medium weighs exactly 4lb, geometry is steeper with HA at 70.8, but looks bombproof with the large diameter tubing, wishbone stays and disc only stays. The welding also looks good (I compared side to side with the Seven Sola). Anyone knows how the ride quality, and handling compares to the others?

The Seven Verve would cost about 25% more than the Titus, fully customised, but since I fit almost any medium frame ... it's a bit of a premium.
I just built an Eleven for a freind last weekend. Craftmanship is great on all three bikes you have listed. The angles on the Cove are slacker than on the Eleven. The Eleven is quick steering and a perfect racer. It rode great with a F100X fork. The only thing that the Eleven has over the other 2 is the option to run it as a single speed with the optional dropouts. Yes, the dropouts did not ship with the frame which I question because the frame cost quite a bit more than last years hcr. =( This is a big downer in my opinion. The Cove is set up with slack angles making it more stable at speed and over technical terrain. Some like some don't.

The Seven is great if you know what you want and have the funds to get it. They can make a bike ride how you want it and the craftmanship is amazing.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I am currently riding a Racer-X although I did come off a Cove Handjob which is quiet similar to the Hummer in terms of geo, and build; using steel tubing instead of the Titanium used on the Hummer.

The ride on the Cove was alright, although I did have issues trying to figure out which forks to run, at 100mm the frame felt way too slack, 80mm felt right and added a little more quickness to the steering. It was a very nice bike to ride though. And the frame was good quality, especially given the price.

I have only seen a HCR in person, and only breifly at a race just recently- they look to be well built, and certainly wouldn't have any worries sinking some money into an Eleven frame if I actually had some money.

You mention the Cove is now made by "Litespeed", I believe it was previously made by Sandvik. This might be the downfall of the Cove over the Titus. Titus manufacture all their frames in house (at least the ti ones), and has rather strick quality control. Litespeed however since been brought out by ABG has dropped it's quality control, infact alot of people say dont buy a Post ABG Litespeed frame. :confused:

Also Titus vs Cove customer service- Titus wins hands down. I had alot of issues dealing with Cove when I wanted to buy a frame off them, emails went unanswered, questions via phone unanswered etc... . Buying from the then new Australian distributer made things alot easier. Dealling with Titus I have had no such troubles, emails answered and phonecalls too, very helpfull :)

·
Tripolar on most days
440 Posts
I have a Eleven, its not built up yet because the brown santa just droped it of last week. I'll post some pic's and ride report in a few weeks. I had a Riddler that I liked very much and besides the riddler being alu the frames are similar. IMO Titus makes some of the best frames for the money.

·
Tripolar on most days
440 Posts
digerati said:
i own an eleven...and its amazing..it really makes the little rocks feel smooth...i know of someone who sold his hummer in favour of eleven as he did not like the geometry...not sure about sola though.
Nice looking build, what size is the frame?

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Ghostrider said:
I have a Eleven, its not built up yet because the brown santa just droped it of last week. I'll post some pic's and ride report in a few weeks. I had a Riddler that I liked very much and besides the riddler being alu the frames are similar. IMO Titus makes some of the best frames for the money.
IMHO, some of the best frames PERIOD...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Ping Im also doing the Epic and from HK. Ive just put a major dent in the rear triangle of my Santa Cruz and Im toying with the idea of
A) new rear triangle
B) New Titus Eleven
not sure if it is too late in the game to switch to a Hard tail but Ive lost faith in the durability of the rear triangle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8 Days on a Hardtail?

I'm racing the Cape Epic on an SC Blur, it has been solid and reliable for the 18 Months I've ridden it, I wouldn't even think about a 900km stage race on a hardtail. I've been told that parts of the route are pretty technical too.. One of the other guys going, did the first two months of training on his Seven Ti Hardtail, and decided to go full suspension route...

I'm buying the hardtail, partly to get back to basics and to work on my technique and skills, I think I've been kind of spoilt on FS bikes in the past few years and want to get back to the basics... It will compliment my FS bike, but not replace it. Hardtails are known to be faster and more reliable on short non technical courses (no more than 3-5 Hrs) but spending 8Hrs+ riding one for consecutive days is going to be painful.

My recommedation is to get your SC up and running, once you've changed the rear triangle, checked the bearings and the shock bushings, there's nothing else that could go wrong!?!?

I will have the Titus Eleven built up by next weekend (I decided to buy it!), and I'll give a full report once I've managed a few rides on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
that is great thanks. I was told at the bike shop that you were buying it specifically for the epic and it got me thinking. As Ive been talking to a guy who raced it last year on a fs and has bought a Ti hard tail for it this time. Hopefully Santa Cruz will sort out a replacement triangle without too much $$$

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
AssClown said:
Small and X-Small frames use a 27.2 seatpost and the rest of the sizes use a 30.9.
I need to know the front derailleur / collar diameter. I knew the smalled used a 27.2 seatpost and needed info on the collar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Titus Eleven Review

Like all reviews, take this with a pinch of salt as it's my first impression after a 2Hr Ride.

Got the frame home last night and built it up from scratch. The finishing is superb and everything from the disktabs, BB, Headtube were great, it made for a pretty quick installation for the main components.

I built it up with some new and some of my old parts, namely a pair of Marathon SL's, Crossmax UST discs, Juicy 7's, XT drivetrain, and XTR shifters, Thomson finishing kit etc

I bought a medium sized frame for my 5'10" height, and the frame seems pretty big. I'm used to FS frames with low slung top tubes and masses of standover and the clearance not super generous (32" inside seam). The seattube also comes up quite high due to the wishbone stay design, so there wasn't a huge amount of seatpost protruding at (my) full extension either..

I went for a 2Hr ride, approx 30km with 800m ascent on fireroad (ascent) and twisty singletrack. Let me say that this bike climbs like a beast, very solid and stiff at the BB junction so you really feel it surge on each crank. It climbs great out of the saddle too. The geometry keeps the front end well planted on the climbs.

It descends very well, and the rear end is surprisingly supple for a hardtail ... it really does seem to dampen the vibrations and buzz. The handling on singletrack is superb and really precise, the bike feels like it just wants to keep accelerating ... I normally ride a SC blur, and the Titus feels faster, and it carves turns very well.... it's a great singletrack flyer or XC race bike.

With the long toptube, I'm probably going to switch to a shorter 90mm stem (running 110mm at the moment) so that I can get further behind the bike for steep technical sections, but otherwise .... it's a fun ride and I'm very happy.

·
Tripolar on most days
440 Posts
I finally took the time to put my new addition toghter today. I plan on putting a few miles on her tomarrow. I fogot how to shift after riding SS's for the last few years. Hope you enjoy the pic's.....

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ghostrider said:
I finally took the time to put my new addition toghter today. I plan on putting a few miles on her tomarrow. I fogot how to shift after riding SS's for the last few years. Hope you enjoy the pic's.....
I think I just soiled myself :eek:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.