Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Pivot Firebird
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Ultimates and was told it's a warranty issue. But some online in other parts of the country have said their LBS was charging $100 to warranty them. Seems like a lot of money to spend when it's SRAM's fault.

Anyone replace their brakes in the valley? Who did you go to and how much?

thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Twice. Global bikes. It was a specialized Enduro. Third time specialized offered me shimano and I took them.

Showed them my test video:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's amazing that SRAM is still making crap like this. This version of the sticky calipers has been going on for a few years and manufacturers still opt to put this crap on their bikes. Had them before...know they feel awesome..for the one day they work once it gets over 80F..
Hope you can get them warrantied... I didn't have the same luck.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
I've got the Ultimates and was told it's a warranty issue. But some online in other parts of the country have said their LBS was charging $100 to warranty them. Seems like a lot of money to spend when it's SRAM's fault.

thanks
Yes; one pair at Global Ahwatukee (see Garrett Stokes) and two pair at Two Wheel Jones in NE Mesa (see Travis).

Pretty quick and no cost.

·
Registered
Pivot Firebird
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the response. I will contact Global and go that route. So much for rising this weekend. Saw some do-it yourself videos online, but honestly, we shouldn't have to do that if it's a faulty issue.

·
GONE
27,019 Posts

thanks
Some shops charge for the labor of removing and then reinstalling warranty items. Sram may or may not cover the shop for those charges so they go to the consumer when the shop is not reimbursed.

Clearly, it pays to be handy with working on bikes. I'd deal with Sram directly and then remove and ship the problematic brake myself.

·
GONE
27,019 Posts
The warranty levers SRAM sent out solved the issues I had. Either way, I'll take Guides over XTs any day of the week.
Agreed on this. I was an XT user for years and I never realized how on and off they were until I tried Guides. I am pleasantly surprised with my Guides. I have had bad experiences with Sram brakes (Elixirs) in the past.

·
Registered
Pivot Firebird
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some shops charge for the labor of removing and then reinstalling warranty items. Sram may or may not cover the shop for those charges so they go to the consumer when the shop is not reimbursed.

Clearly, it pays to be handy with working on bikes. I'd deal with Sram directly and then remove and ship the problematic brake myself.
I wrench everything on my bike, but I hate to spend the time and money on something that SRAM should be responsible for. If they'd send me a new piston, I'd put it in, but from further research online, SRAM is supposed to replace the entire lever?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I wrench everything on my bike, but I hate to spend the time and money on something that SRAM should be responsible for. If they'd send me a new piston, I'd put it in, but from further research online, SRAM is supposed to replace the entire lever?
That's right so basically you just need to swap levers and do a bleed. But good luck dealing with SRAM directly. I've had much better luck with warranty issues going through a bike shop.

·
GONE
27,019 Posts
What I meant was, skip the LBS. Pull the problematic brake yourself and send it back to Sram. Let them fix it and then reinstall it when they send it back.

·
Registered
79 Posts

thanks
Howdy Daugela;

I had this happen to a Level TL which is a known issue when they get hot. It's a problem with the piston in the lever. With mine shortly after I got them out of the sun they'd stop sticking. Take them back out in the sun and they'd start sticking again.
I took them to Exhale Bikes and they did the warranty work for me. Good folks there BTW. SRAM doesn't pay for the labor so it was like $35 for the exchange of both brake levers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had mine replaced last year. Oddly enough they sent me one Ultimate lever and one TLM lever. Anyway, I just ditched them for a set of Maguras and have not looked back so if anyone is interested in the upgraded Ultimate level i will probably sell it.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Twice. Global bikes. It was a specialized Enduro. Third time specialized offered me shimano and I took them.

Showed them my test video:

My friend went to global at least twice for this issue. Warrantied every time. And just had his brakes lock up again. His issue that he stores his bike in his garage. The Sram brakes can't take that heat.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,710 Posts

thanks
Just took my Fuse in to Landis for its complimentary 3-month and they pointed it out, so mine are going to be warrantied. Not sure if I'll have to pay the install cost, probably will though.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes; one pair at Global Ahwatukee (see Garrett Stokes) and two pair at Two Wheel Jones in NE Mesa (see Travis).

Pretty quick and no cost.

Pretty sure Garrett is at the Chandler North location @ 101/Ray. At least he was when he got my Guide's warrantied out last year.

I had already swapped for XT m8000's from my old bike (and then to m8020's when they showed up) so the week or so it took didn't bother me at all.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,710 Posts
Just took my Fuse in to Landis for its complimentary 3-month and they pointed it out, so mine are going to be warrantied. Not sure if I'll have to pay the install cost, probably will though.
Just as an update, I just picked up my bike - SRAM replaced with Level TL levers (a small upgrade) and I didn't have to pay for the install or the bleed, which was a welcome surprise.

Thanks!

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Pretty sure Garrett is at the Chandler North location @ 101/Ray. At least he was when he got my Guide's warrantied out last year.

I had already swapped for XT m8000's from my old bike (and then to m8020's when they showed up) so the week or so it took didn't bother me at all.
Yep; you're right. I was thinking that was the Ahwatukee shop. But yep; that location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.