Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been riding trails for a few months now maybe and have yet to ride skeggs, ive been told its pretty big so i was wondering if anyones down to show me around and give me a tour of all the best stuff there.

ill be ready to ride sunrise to sunset, cheers

-james

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi James,

I'll be there some time in the afternoon, but my schedule's pretty... unresolved right now. If you happen to be up there and see me (baby blue bike, red wheels) and my bro-in-law (black Specialized Epic) do say hi.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Hey man, just in case you dont have a guide.

Park at the Skeggs point parking. Roll down the hill 1/10th of a mile and the trail head will be on your left. This is the main trail head. There are trail maps there.

These days, many of the good trail that completes a loop are closed. But you can do this:
Go down Sierra Montaro-->Bear gulch road-->Blue Blossom. Then up hill at crosscut-->crossover-->turn right up toward Manzanita.

At the top of Manzanita (a 4 way junction), ride straight and up mildly to the next junction where you turn left to go toward Resolution.

Ride resolution to the bottom, then down El Corte(not up since it is close). At this point, I usually just ride the star hill road back to hwy35 and to the parking lot, or continue north leaf, then south leaf, then exit to the road and ride back to the parking. This loop takes 2.5 to 3.5 hrs, depending on your strength.

If this is your first time there, try not to ride down toward Virginia Mill. That is a long long way to the bottom and will take forever to climb back.

Basic rule at Skeggs. Avoid fireroads anytime you can. Some of them get steep and long. And there are rangers with radar guns. So hold your speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can someone give me a brief breakdown of all the trails?, LIKE which ones are more for going down than going up, like part of the damn fir trail, and the fire road part of methelussah. i found out the hard way those werent fun. i was also told that spring board was more of a one way trail, is this true?. any help would be appreciated, thank you

-james

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Resolution, down
Manzanita, down, up is ok too.
Spring board, down
Steam donkey, down
North Leaf, down
South Leaf, come the other direction, down
Sierra Montero, down
Giant Salamander, closed
El Corte, both

Skip Fir, and part of Methusia???

These are my preference. You certainly can ride it the other way around. How you link them together usually determines if you will ride it up or down that day. Also, it depends on if it is toward the start or the end of the ride.

·
Fragile
253 Posts
jcopello said:
conditions were perfect yesterday, i had a blast and will probably go tomorrow for a morning ride.
Passion Trail Bikes has a great map on their site: http://www.passiontrailbikes.com/pages/rides

It shows the steepness and the direction of the hills. I never head to ECDM without it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
jcopello said:
ive been riding trails for a few months now maybe and have yet to ride skeggs, ive been told its pretty big so i was wondering if anyones down to show me around and give me a tour of all the best stuff there.

ill be ready to ride sunrise to sunset, cheers

-james
There are so many loops you can do at Skegg's that you might want to specify a few things to get better responses:

- How long do you want to ride?
- How many feet you expect to climb, miles to ride?
- What's your riding level (both technical and fitness)?

I ride Skegg's every other day and keep finding people way at the bottom asking me how long it's going to take them to get back to the parking lot. When I tell them 5 miles / 1000' some of them (hikers and bikers!) look pretty discouraged.

You can as easily do a 15 miles loop with 3000' climb as a 4 miles loop with only 400' of climbing. Trails range from wide fireroads to flowy single trails (Blue Blossom, North LEaf) to pretty technical (South Leaf) rocky (Manzanita, resolution), rutty / rutted (Steam Donkey), etc. Some pretty steep to almost impossible climbs (Steam Donkey, the .6 mile section of Fir). No big drops anywhere tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.