Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone is regularly swapping out revved stays to go between GG models? I've got a size 4 Smash on the way, but often think the Trail Pistol is the bike I should order. Knowing I will get pretty close to both makes the decision less critical, but I'm wondering about the reality of the swap.

If you have gone back and forth, what are your thoughts on the process? If you are not swapping the fork, which I believe is possible (with the right fork), which one do you have? Any other heads up that might sway me to order one bike initially over the other (I'm set on a 29er)?

I think that it is pretty amazing that I could have both a Smash and a Trail Pistol in my garage at the same time thanks to the GGGeniuses. I own a v1 Megatrail and will have my FS needs met pretty thoroughly.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Technically you could do this on the AL frames too. Just to the TP because of the shock placement. I looked into it and didn't do it. I just got the TP. There are few people on here that had Smash and MT stays.

The Smash and TP are pretty similar. I'm not sure you would gain much. Smash to SD or MT ... I get that.

Also ... How easy can you change the travel of your fork. My MRP is pretty easy but it still need to drop the chassis.

In the end it a good amount of work for reconfigure.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah, seems that the MRP fork is the way to go if you have any interest in messing with the travel. I don’t think a lot of people are going to be using that feature all the time. I decided that I’m gonna do a Trail Pistol with the Rockshox Deluxe RT to start and if I decide I want a Smash, maybe I’ll get a coil or something fancier.

My bikes are mostly modular or multipurpose and they generally stay in one configuration 95% of the time, but it’s still nice to have options when you want/need them.

I’m guessing that for most of my riding the TP will be the model that makes the most sense, but having the Smash option could be fun for trips to the Sierras or if I decide I’m ready to try something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just ordered my Revved TP as a Pistol(a) with 130mm rear / 150mm front -- if you do a 150 fork you can just swap stays and shock. Not sure how much it'd be worth having a second fork to swap or adjust travel all the time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don’t know how often I will utilize the feature but I will definitely be buying a TP rear to go with my smash size 4. A TP is the most appropriate bike for most of my trails but I race enduro somewhat frequently and go to parks and park type trails enough that I’d use a Smash type bike often enough. Ive been keeping an eye on PB and there is some decent to good used shock/fork that I could tune or tweak for a TP and come out under $1000 including the rear. I could send whatever to avalanche or something similar for a custom tune job if I wanted but we will see.

·
Premium Member
10,749 Posts
I've swapped lower headset cups, running long position, but still only have one set of stays for the Shred Dogg.

It's not a cheap conversion, you need to change suspension, stays, and lower cup unless you do a frankenbike build.

Personally, unless you really need a long travel 29er, I'd go Trail Pistol for the short stays and consider a tall lower cup to increase pedal clearance and to rake out the front end OR get a longer travel fork and keep the short lower cup.

I had a aluminum Smash and rode my buddies carbon Smash, I much prefer the geo of the aluminum Smash, more agile and playful, which is what I'd want in a longer travel 29er.

The other thing you might consider once you get your Size 4 Revved frame is get another Revved frame and upgrade the MT, the aluminum V1 is two generations removed from their current geo.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I bought a Smash and TP setup and plan to swap semi regularly (haven’t swapped yet though—it’s only a week old). I got a a Ribbon Air and DBair for the TP and a Ribbon Coil and Hazzard for the Smash. It’s as much about having a 2 pound lighter setup + a burly setup as it is the actual travel change. I’m also hope that two sets of squishy bits will help me be more regular with maintenance. More to follow after my first change...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.