Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
i got one

i just got a Wingnut gear Hyper 3.0. I have not had a chance to test it extensively but i filled it up with water and some essentials for a short ride. feels really comfortable. as you probably know the pack sits on your lower back just above the hips. in the standing position its a little awkward but comfortable and natural while in the saddle. Also the Hyper line has mesh pockets on the sides easily accessed while ridding. go for it. nice packs and made in the USA if that matters to you

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
elgordo said:
i just got a Wingnut gear Hyper 3.0. I have not had a chance to test it extensively but i filled it up with water and some essentials for a short ride. feels really comfortable. as you probably know the pack sits on your lower back just above the hips. in the standing position its a little awkward but comfortable and natural while in the saddle. Also the Hyper line has mesh pockets on the sides easily accessed while ridding. go for it. nice packs and made in the USA if that matters to you
How big of a guy are you? I'm pretty large myself and my concern is whether or not the straps will be large enough.

·
Registered
465 Posts
WTB-rider said:
How big of a guy are you? I'm pretty large myself and my concern is whether or not the straps will be large enough.
WTB-rider i'm 5'-10" @ 180lbs. my waist is a 34 and my chest is, hang on, a 41. my pack, the Hyper 3.0, fits me well and has ample strap length left. i dont have it with me now but i can measure strap length if you like. Also dont hesitate to call wingnut gear to inquire about fit. from what i hear they are good people and certainly have fit many pack to many people. good luck : )

Wingnut
251 Upper North Road
Highland, NY 12528
845-691-7278

·
Registered
937 Posts
In addition to the reduced stress on my shoulders, I really like the wing pockets..you can access anything in the pockets while you're riding..I've used the Hyper 1.5 but I need the bladder to carry more water for longer rides (4hours+). My fiance is using the Hyper 3.0 and he loves it. I do plan on checking out the Adventure pack for Adventure Racing.

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
namrita said:
In addition to the reduced stress on my shoulders, I really like the wing pockets..you can access anything in the pockets while you're riding..I've used the Hyper 1.5 but I need the bladder to carry more water for longer rides (4hours+). My fiance is using the Hyper 3.0 and he loves it. I do plan on checking out the Adventure pack for Adventure Racing.
Actually I am testing a 2.5 right now. It's about the same size as the 1.5, but with 95 oz bladder.

I've had the 1.5 since August and I love it. I was originally looking for ways to reduce upper body fatigue and purchased one. I've done many long rides and races with it. It's very durable (no signs of wear yet), extremely comfortable and the wing pockets are great. I can load food in the mesh ones and tools into the waterproof pockets and access it all without removing the pack. I've really noticed the difference on the descents. There is no pack shifting side to side, it's not bumping the back of my helmet and the low center of gravity really helps when things get hairy.

I've had the 2.5 for a month now and it has all the same qualities as the 1.5, but with more storage and water capacity. I did a 5.5 hour ride on Monday with about 10,000 of climbing. I loaded the pack up with as much stuff as it could: a full bladder, food, tubes, tools, extra clothing, hand & toes warmers (it's chilly out). No back pain what so ever.

It may take a ride or two to figure out where to have the pack sit on your back, but once that's figured out the feel is very natural.

Eddie O

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Trans Iowa pack??

I have bought and sold a lot of hydro paks in the last few years looking for the "right" one for loaded distance racing. I keep coming back to my modified old school Blowfish. Are you saying that this is THE best one you have tried Eddie?

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
1.5, 2.5, 3.0?

Eddie O said:
Absolutely! That is exactly what I am saying. I highly recommend you try one.
Eddie O
I don't even see a 2.5 on the site. It holds the same amount of gear as the 1.5? That doesn't seem like a lot of room. The 3.0 looks nice and spacious.
Update that blog man. I know how you did in GA. How 'bout some news? I don't have a blog of my own to take up my free time so I live vicariously through all the endurance blogs I can find.

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
More questions

Eddie O said:
Absolutely! That is exactly what I am saying. I highly recommend you try one.

Eddie O
Does the main compartment have dividers?
Does the main compartment open up really big (clamshell style)?
Can you use a Camlebak 100 oz bladder w/o a problem?
Is the waist belt wide, say 2" or so?
Does it have a Sirius radio option?
Are you able to access your jersey pockets still? Are your jersey pockets pointless when you have the easy access compartments on the side? I usually try to keep GU's and Endurolytes pretty handy.

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
teamdicky said:
I don't even see a 2.5 on the site. It holds the same amount of gear as the 1.5? That doesn't seem like a lot of room. The 3.0 looks nice and spacious.
Update that blog man. I know how you did in GA. How 'bout some news? I don't have a blog of my own to take up my free time so I live vicariously through all the endurance blogs I can find.
The 2.5 is new and not in full production yet. The 3.0 has more storage, but only 5oz more bladder capacity. I'll find out when the 2.5 is going to be available.

For the Trans Iowa, I'll most likely use the 2.5. If I had a bigger pack I'd just carry more stuff. Two big pluses for the TI will be the ablity to access food without stopping to get into the pack and it's more aero than most packs that sit up higher.

Eddie O

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
teamdicky said:
Are you able to access your jersey pockets still? Are your jersey pockets pointless when you have the easy access compartments on the side? I usually try to keep GU's and Endurolytes pretty handy.
The main compartment opens up big, but does not have dividers.

Yes, 100oz Camelbak bladder works fine.

I think it's 2", I can double check today.

No access to jersey pockets, but as others said the side mesh pockets can be reached

while riding so it's probably a moot point.

I've been using them for quite a while (Hyper 3.0) and have been very happy with it. The customers I've sold them to seem to like them a lot also.

Larry Mettler
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
I do not have a 3.0...yet, so my answers are for the 1.5 & 2.5 only.

teamdicky said:
The main/big compartment is not divided. This leaves a lot of room for clothing, lights, large tools (shock pump, though I know you don't carry one), etc... There is a mesh and waterproof pocket on each side that is accessible while riding. In these side pockets is where I carry bars, gels, multi-tool, mini pump, tubes, chain lube, camera, etc.

No but that's not a bad idea and I'll pass it along to the designer. Both the 1.5 & 2.5 has a large opening at the top of a deep compartment. There is plenty of room to root through it to find stuff, but a full clamshell style opening would be nice. They also have an elastic pull string deal to hold stuff on the outside of the pack.

I've been using a 70oz Camlebak in the 1.5. I can only put 50oz in it though. The 2.5 have it's own bladder specifically designed to fit into the space provided in the pack. It's closer to a square shape vs the Camlebak's elongated rectangle.

Yes and it does a nice job of pulling the "wings" in tight to your hips. This is important for a skinny guy such as yourself.

They don't offer a factory installation, but I'm sure you could work it in.

You can still keep GUs, Endurolytes, a pill case, bars in the two outer pockets and the pack will sit over them without an issue. The center pocket is pretty much inaccessible. These has only been an issue for my helmet light batteries, which I like to keep there. I instead put the battery in the larger center compartment in the pack. Both the 1.5 & 2.5 and I assume the 3.0 have a mesh pocket on one of the front straps to hold a gel flask or an iPOD shuffle as well.

...and don't forget the whistle built into the front chest buckle. It's great for calling for help or screwing with dogs.

Eddie O

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Eddie O said:
I do not have a 3.0...yet, so my answers are for the 1.5 & 2.5 only.

The main/big compartment is not divided. This leaves a lot of room for clothing, lights, large tools (shock pump, though I know you don't carry one), etc... There is a mesh and waterproof pocket on each side that is accessible while riding. In these side pockets is where I carry bars, gels, multi-tool, mini pump, tubes, chain lube, camera, etc.

No but that's not a bad idea and I'll pass it along to the designer. Both the 1.5 & 2.5 has a large opening at the top of a deep compartment. There is plenty of room to root through it to find stuff, but a full clamshell style opening would be nice. They also have an elastic pull string deal to hold stuff on the outside of the pack.

I've been using a 70oz Camlebak in the 1.5. I can only put 50oz in it though. The 2.5 have it's own bladder specifically designed to fit into the space provided in the pack. It's closer to a square shape vs the Camlebak's elongated rectangle.

Yes and it does a nice job of pulling the "wings" in tight to your hips. This is important for a skinny guy such as yourself.

They don't offer a factory installation, but I'm sure you could work it in.

You can still keep GUs, Endurolytes, a pill case, bars in the two outer pockets and the pack will sit over them without an issue. The center pocket is pretty much inaccessible. These has only been an issue for my helmet light batteries, which I like to keep there. I instead put the battery in the larger center compartment in the pack. Both the 1.5 & 2.5 and I assume the 3.0 have a mesh pocket on one of the front straps to hold a gel flask or an iPOD shuffle as well.

...and don't forget the whistle built into the front chest buckle. It's great for calling for help or screwing with dogs.

Eddie O
I would love to see more designers use a clamshell. When time is important it is a huge pain to empty a deep compartment to access something at the bottom. Then you spend then next five minutes putting everything back in and looking all over the ground to make sure you got all your stuff. It always seems that no matter what I only need whatever is at the bottom. My Blowfish has to be semi-unloaded to fit the bladder back in at max capacity, also slowing down transition times. I am sweating these small details as my next possible big race adds points for every second behind the leader (points are bad).
I am attached to dividers, but I could live without them if I had to. I love knowing exactly where my contacts, mirror, lighter, drugs, etc are instead of hunting for them.
I wish they had more detail pics up. I find it hard to sink close to $100 into a pack without a good look at it. I have bought/sold my last three possible Blowfish replacements at a tidy loss. The newest BF has the dividers and clamshell feature, but they added the comfort bumps which oddly enough cause me great pain.

BTW I would love to get a hydro pack I am happy with instead of spending a bunch of time sewing on bigger straps, bungees, and crap like that. If I were a motivated human I would design my own.

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
I have had mine for a few months (3-4). It is easily the best fitting pack I have owned. Sits nice and low and does not move. I'm 6'5" 225lbs. My mate just got one after seeing mine, he's about 5' 7" and he loves the way it fits him, basically, its very adjustable.

I got mine and my mates from Ventanarama.

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great feedback and thank you.

Any photos of riders wearing one? The wingnut website photos are a tad small.

Thanks again, I'm leaning very hard towards purchasing one.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.