Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new Camelback. So, I see that Camelback has included more women-specific packs in it's '05 line up. I didn't see any reviews on these new packs yet and was wondering if any of you have tried them? I'm looking at the Magic right now because of it's cargo capacity. I don't always carry a lot of stuff but I like that option.

I've been using Lobos for awhile now. I like their 70 oz capacity but the one I have now has wider shoulder straps and is not as comfortable as I would like. Plus, I don't know what C-back was thinking with the velcro-closing flap pocket. Not the best design compared to the old model in my opinion. Makes getting into the zip pocket more difficult for one thing.

My local shops only have the Dream model (they had the new Mini-Mule too - too cool!). Seems nice but cargo capacity is almost nil. So please post if you have any thoughts about these new women specific packs.

Happy trails to you!

Lori

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I'd been using a used 100-oz, which has generous storage space, then decided to get a 70-oz Rogue, figuring the compact design would be perfect for around here.

It has just enough space for tire-changing purposes (spare tube, levers, pump, patches) but barely. Maybe it's b/c I was spoiled with the last pack, but the limited space is making me a little nuts.

Haven't gotten a *good* look at the new women's specific designs, but if I were getting another one, it would be another 70-oz with more storage capacity than the Rogue.

My everyday purse is old and worn out, but here I am thinking about a new CamelBak! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Scubee said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new Camelback. So, I see that Camelback has included more women-specific packs in it's '05 line up. I didn't see any reviews on these new packs yet and was wondering if any of you have tried them?

Happy trails to you!

Lori
I haven't gottn one yet, but I am thinking about it. The straps are SO comfy - nice and soft. The only reason I haven't snapped one up yet is that there isn't a 100oz model. Considering that the MULE is so popular and it is 100oz capacity, I'm shocked they don't have a larger capacity for women as well.

Anyway, I suppose it might make sense to keep my mule for the longer rides and just use a smaller capacity for "everyday" use. Then again, my MULE hasn't fallen apart yet....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Impy said:
I haven't gottn one yet, but I am thinking about it. The straps are SO comfy - nice and soft. The only reason I haven't snapped one up yet is that there isn't a 100oz model. Considering that the MULE is so popular and it is 100oz capacity, I'm shocked they don't have a larger capacity for women as well.

Anyway, I suppose it might make sense to keep my mule for the longer rides and just use a smaller capacity for "everyday" use.
Yeah, we ladies get the 50 and 70 oz models :confused: For me the 70 oz works fine for 99% of my rides. But I need storage - that works.

Impy said:
Then again, my MULE hasn't fallen apart yet....
That's one of the only "bad" things about Camelbacks. They just about last forever so it makes it hard to just up and buy a new one at, cough, cough, $75 give or take. I wish they sold the packs without bladders too. I could save $25 (the apprx. price of the bladders) since we already have bladders.

I might try and sell my Lobo if I buy a new one though. It's a "special" edition having a Pedrosfest New England logo stiched into it. Kinda neat and still has lots of life in it.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I have a Lobo too, but I'm tempted to get a Magic. I find that the Lobo is a bit long in the body so even when I wear it up high on my shoulders it runs down the whole length of my back so I couldn't put anything in my jersey pockets even if I wanted to. At least they both use the same size reservoir so I could have a spare for sport drinks or something if I bought a Magic.

- Jen.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
LOL, I've got an old jandt bag, must be 10 years old now, that I just can't bear to give up. One of the things I like about it is that it has shock cord lacing all the way up it, it's great for carrying pads. A lot of the new bags don't have that. Any yah, I know I could add that feature on with my sewing skills but that's beside the point. :)

formica

·
Supervixen
82 Posts
I just got one

I used a Rogue for years and just bough a Cback Dream (I think, it's the women's model w/ the larger storage capacity). The Rogue was perfectly fine - didn't move around much and didn't hit me in the back of the head on descents like the Mule and Hawg I'd had before - but I had a hard time fitting enough stuff in there. I carry a tube and a few tools in a seat pack, but other necessities, like a jacket, cell phone, wallet, etc. were had to fit in the Rogue. The Dream has plenty of storage, stays put, and is comfortable to wear. The padded staps will be nice in tank-top season. There's also enough storage capacity that I could fit a Platypus in there for long summer rides. (A Platypus is kind of like a plastic bag with a cap.)

Christine said:
Haven't gotten a *good* look at the new women's specific designs, but if I were getting another one, it would be another 70-oz with more storage capacity than the Rogue.
QUOTE]

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
i've ordered a Charm for races/short rides. i was wanting a smaller pack since my only other is the mule and i don't feel like hauling that heavy thing all the time. yeah, i'm lazy. ;)

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
The wait is over!

Just picked up a Camelbak Isis yesterday. I've been using a Mule, mostly, and a Lobo for short rides. Today I switched out the 70oz. bladder for the mule's 100oz and it fit beautifully. This pack is a friggin' dream! It's the first Camelbak I've seen that's made like a true technical backpack, including a proper waist/hip belt that puts the majority of the weight on your hips (where it should be). The thinner straps and higher upper harness are a lot more comfortable for thinner shoulders. And at over 1200 cubic inches, the storage capacity is FINALLY enough for this packrat. I like to carry my kneepads and elbow pads with me on the uphill, and my mule just didn't have the capacity for this. But this pack held my kneepads, elbow pads, 100oz of water, a pear, an orange, a first aid kit a spare tire,and cinched down so that it felt like nothing. It also had enough room left over for tons more stuff. AND it has side pockets big enough for your gel packs, cell phone, GPS unit, and a multitool, so you don't have to even unstrap to have any of this available to you. Oh, and one more thing; the space for the water has a zip that goes across the top and half down the side, making easy as anything to refill. Can you tell how happy I am with this pack?
One caveat: if you are a weight weenie this is not the pack for you. It is about 11oz heavier than the Magic. It's about the same weight as the Hawg.

Impy said:

Anyway, I suppose it might make sense to keep my mule for the longer rides and just use a smaller capacity for "everyday" use. Then again, my MULE hasn't fallen apart yet....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.