Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

Curious if anyone is using Strava? Francois has joined a MTBR Club to the KOM competition and we have moved into 3rd place but need some help to get to first. I figure with the better weather in Arizona right now you guys should be racking up a lot more climbing then we are in Norcal.

Here is a link to the thread in Norcal Forum
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=685880

As for those who do not know what Strava is....well it is a GPS tracking service that compares riders in your area. For example on a certain route I do there are 3 or 4 segments that are either Downhills or climbs that you can compete for King of the Mountain. It also tracks the top times and your top times as well as what bike you used. Lots of other cool features as well. www.strava.com

You can use the service for free but are limited to only 5 uploads a month or can pay and have unlimited uploads. If you have time load up a ride and check it out....it is pretty cool. I have a friend who had a bunch of 3 months free codes as well and might be able to get some more if people are interested. Just send me a PM and I will see if I can get some more.

Eric

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
Interesting service....for me personally, I don't find value in the "compare to your friends" component of the service which is the only thing that differentiates it from something like a Garmin Connect which is free. I tend to believe it when my friends say they did 4500vert on a ride....don't have too many friends that lie about that kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is different then just comparing it to just your friends. It lets you see everyone that is loading up to Strava. And it tracks your times and how they rank with you personally as well. For me it makes riding even more fun because sometimes I will go out now and think about trying to set a KOM or a Personal Best on a climb or downhill. Makes me want to ride more and ride harder. It has been a fun thing for people on the Norcal board.

Like I said you can check it out for free for 5 uploads a month. And I dont work for Strava or anything...just like to see more MTBR people on it so we can dominate the KOM competition :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting that more road bikers are using it then mtn. Seems the KOM function is perfect for Mtn bikers as it allows you to designate not only climbs but descents as well.

If you could load up a ride from a popular area (you can load 5 free per month) and see if there are other people in the area. It will show their times and rankings on the ride you did if other people have done the ride and loaded it up to Strava.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.