Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems the auto industry is starting to push nitrogen for automotive tire refills because of next to zero pressure loss throughout a wide temperature range.
anyone tried nitrogen in tubeless tires or tubes yet?

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
Doesn't the earth atmosphere consist up to 70% or in that area AFAIK out of nitrogen?
To answer your question,yes I use nitrogen to fill up my tires as anybody else is doing.
Not 100% pure nitrogen but close enough for me.

Later
RaD

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nitrogen's biggest advantage in tyres is that is it's more 'stable' than plain old air when it comes to pressure change (less moisture in nitrogen to heat up and expand).

Useful stuff when setting up a race car (tyre pressures only come up a couple of pounds with nitro, anywhere from five to 10 with plain air), but not especially useful for bikes, I'd suggest.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I don't know what you mean by the industry is pushing it. The only ones pushing it are the ones selling it.

Honda's official position is that there is "it offers no apparent advantage over ordinary, dry compressed air.".

·
Registered
245 Posts
Phi.Design said:
I wonder if anyone uses helium. In mythbusters they proved that a football filled with helium was lighter than one filled with air. Air is actually quite heavy.
Bit off topic, but there were rumours of helium-filled BMX frames floating around (geddit?) when I was in primary (elementary) school (late 70s/early 80s). Couple of valves tapped into an alloy frame (JMC, maybe?), and away you went. Apparently... would love to know if they actually existed.

And thanks Killroy, it is, of course, the water in the air that mucks around with cold/hot tyre pressures, not the air itself. I'm led to believe a lot of guys mount tyres with nitrogen, then just use regular air to top them off.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Phi.Design said:
um.....helium anyone?
Do you REALLY have to go there? Not only go, but PUSH it?

This topic of helium is like the single most posted noob post/theory on ANY bike forum that has EVER came to be on this sweetmeat planet Earth.

Didn't any of these kiddies every play with helium balloons when they were tots? Didn't those that did learn ANYTHING from it?

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Phi.Design said:
Damn, I didnt know the topic offended you on a personal level. 1000 humble appologies.
I know! It's crazy. I walk around outside with a sign everyday.

"NO MORE HELIUM THREADS!"

People give me crazy looks, but I know I am doing a greater good! I shouldn't have expected you to know of my plight! I apologize as well for my over-riding zeal and helium angst.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Robbo said:
Bit off topic, but there were rumours of helium-filled BMX frames floating around (geddit?) when I was in primary (elementary) school (late 70s/early 80s). Couple of valves tapped into an alloy frame (JMC, maybe?), and away you went. Apparently... would love to know if they actually existed.

And thanks Killroy, it is, of course, the water in the air that mucks around with cold/hot tyre pressures, not the air itself. I'm led to believe a lot of guys mount tyres with nitrogen, then just use regular air to top them off.
You would have to purge the "regular" air in the frame for the helium to make it lighter. Pressuring a frame just adds weight.

I weighed a mtb wheel/tire (1.95) at 30 and 60 psi. At the higher pressure it weighed 9g more.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
The advantage of nitrogen in the average person's car tires is that it doesn't leak out as much. The number one way to get better mileage on your car is to make sure your tires are properly inflated. Since most people don't do that, they're riding around with too-low pressure, and getting bad mileage. With nitrogen, it's a bit more idiot-proof, and your tires will stay at proper inflation longer.

Of course you could just check your tire pressure regularly, but most people don't do that.

Now the thing to fill your bike frame with is pure oxygen. Have a camelbak-like tube coming out of it so you can take a hit of O2 during one of those lung-busting climbs :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
If I ever get a helium bottle I am going to do it just for fun.

Realtisticly, I have a hard enough time just keeping my tires inflated and on the bike to care.

Basically I thinking I'll put a fitting on one of the tubes and fill it up to oh 150 psi.

Then i'll get a short hose and valve so I can fill my tires. would work with air or He or N2

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.