Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone on this site currently using or used antidepressants? did you have prolong fatigue during ride due to the drug? How did you cope with it? I am currently on powerful dose of antidepressant. I am genetically inherited depression for many generations. When my trip last over 1 hr, I get really tired. I am not referring to bonking out since I ate lots of food before the ride. I have lots of calories in storage. i just can't seem to make my legs to pedal. There is no musle problems at all.

Did your family doc or sport doc offer any suggestions?

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
you might ask your doc about switching meds. They all do different things to your body.
Some of them do make you kind of stupid/slow feeling. There are over 30 kinds and they can affect your energy level, your sexuality, your ability to sleep, your mood and so on. I've been on 4 different kinds over the years, thank god I'm done and I've found that if I just keep riding I'm fine, but it wasn't always that way. Talk to your doc.

formica

·
Registered
97 Posts
I take Wellbutrin 75mg X 2 a day with NO side effects other than the urge to quit smoking and not eat so darn many junk foods. seriously that is the only side effect for me. that fatigue may be your body switching from the food you just took in to the calories already stored in your body. when I first started riding more distance I would get sooooo tired for about 3 miles after the first few miles that I just wanted to pull over and stop. after a few weeks of this it no longer happens. a buddy of mine said that was the culprit. now I start to burn the "excess"calories a little quicker cuz I run faster, farther, and with bigger gears. plus the type of calories makes a difference. sugars burn quick with a big drop in energy. avoid cakes,pies, sodas, anything with just junk calories. I eat some dehydrated apricots now as well as an Ensure(store brand) about 1/2 hour before I ride and that usually carries me for about 2 hours of hard riding. plus lots of water. I eat a healthy cereal like heart to heart during the ride if I feel a little run down plus lots of water and Pedialyte to bring back the electolytes without the cheap sugars of Gatorade

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.