Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ted in real life
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with the wired connection for speed on my Vetta V-100HR and am thinking about switching to wireless. I saw somewhere on the web that the head unit and the transmitter need to be no more than 18" apart. On my bike (HH100X) it would need to be at least 24". Is this a problem? Is the range really that short?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They're not kidding about the range limitation. Mine was slightly further and worked fine in warm weather however, when it was cold less than 40 degrees, it wouldn't work well at all.
I switched to a Sigma and never had any problems related to the radio signal.
Ted said:
I am having problems with the wired connection for speed on my Vetta V-100HR and am thinking about switching to wireless. I saw somewhere on the web that the head unit and the transmitter need to be no more than 18" apart. On my bike (HH100X) it would need to be at least 24". Is this a problem? Is the range really that short?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Ted said:
The range is either really short, or the transmitter is highly directional, or both.

I have a Vetta V100 wireless that I received as a holiday gift. I've tinkered a lot with setting up the transmitter and have experimented with different locations on the fork. There are days when it works quite well and the mileage reported (over a course that I know well) is spot on. But there are other days when it's several miles off (too low). I've tried replacing the batteries in both the transmitter and receiver, but this did not help.

My current theory is that the fork crown interferes somewhat with the signal. In addition, the suspension action of the fork causes the signal to occassionally miss the transmitter. I've moved this unit to my son's bike, but it has the same problem on his bike too.

I've replaced the V100 with a Topeak Panoram. So far, the Panoram seems to work better. The one problem with it that I've noticed is that it seems prone to picking up stray signals. So, whereas the V100's distance would be too low after a ride, the Panoram's reported distance is frequently too high (by up to .2 miles over a 15 mile course). And, after I stop, the Panoram continues to pick up stray signals. I've noticed that up to two miles will slowly get added on after I've stopped. (I wish it had an "off" switch.)

In conclusion, I definitely do not recommend going wireless with the V100 on a mountain bike. The distance between the spokes and fork legs is too far to set it up so that the signal reliably gets to the receiver.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Ted said:
Well, I am not sure about the range but I have had a Vetta V-100 for about 10 years now. Its the same unit and surprisingly the same battery. Go figure. I have never had a problem with it at all. I'll have to measure but I bet I am on the edge of 18" if not longer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.