Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I see an awful lot of info giving me the impression that the Garmin 705 and 500 are the GPS units more commonly used but I was wondering if anyone had either the Oregon or Dakota untis and what their experience and thoughts were while using it?

·
Registered
591 Posts
here's oregon mounted i leave the belt clip ziptied to the stem. i wanted a general purpose gps. may do some geocacheing some day, also good for river trips.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, how is it out on the trails? A good, reliable companion? Any quirks? shortcomings? deficiencies?

I think I'm going to get one to have on hand when exploring new trails, the idea that you can take geotagged pictures with it sounds reallly great. I've had any number of autmobile GPS's over the years and often find the marketing hype might not live up to a units user friendliness and performance in real life so am hoping those that have lived with a unit can give their thoughts on it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i wish that the batteries lasted longer with the backlight on. but that's most of the gps out there. very reliable not a single problem in 2 years

·
Registered
591 Posts
learned how to take some jpegs of our local trails and create custom maps. transfered them onto my device. freak'in awesome!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use the Dakota 10 on my Mountain Bike. I love it. For new trails, I love to go back and forth between the Trip Computer and the Map. Having the map has saved my ride a few times as I tend to be an explorer (I can never get too far off track as long as I have the map). I had my old computer (magnets) on my bike in tandem for a while and I found the two odometers to be pretty close.

The Dakota 10 does not have the Barometric Altimider (sp?) but it does somehow read your altitude. This is a great feature and I use it to know approximately how far to the top/bottom I have to go. I take my kids on rides and they love to see where they went on Google Earth when we return.

We also do some Geocaching and it's nice to have just one device. I've had the same batteries (regular duracell AA's) in the device for about 3 weeks (probably 15 rides) and they still have 25% capacity left in them which seems pretty good.

Bottom line -- I love it !

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got a Dakota 20 topo bundle, Memorial Day weekend and while most of it's mileage has been on the road bike I have given it a few days off road. I use one of Garmin's $9.95 bar mounts zip tied to the stem, with the lanyard tied of for safety. I did need to swap my stem for one with a 4 bolt faceplate to clear the mount but you could always mount to the handlebars instead. I mostly use it as a data recorder/bike computer rather than a navigator since I only have 1:100,000 maps on it and I have been riding known trails with paper maps. Battery life with lithium AAs is decent but alkalines burn up quickly so I am going to try NiMH rechargeables. Backlight readability is OK in most conditions even with sunglasses and the touchscreen is easy to use although I often slow or stop to do anything with the map. The altimeter in the 20 is a nice feature since you get an elevation profile with your tracks, plus the option of using a cadence/speed sensor is nice.
I have tried following a track on the road and it has done OK plus some geocaching, overall I'm pretty happy with it as a biking and outdoors tool but don't bother using it in the car since the $175-200 or so for street routing software and a car mount is better spent on a cheap Nuvi or TomTom.
For the future I want to try using downloaded or self made tracks with either the Garmin Base camp software or Topfusion.

·
Registered
208 Posts
NateHawk said:
:eek: Might I suggest coming to a complete stop before you mess around with your GPS?
Let me refine that to slow or stop to switch from map to trip odo mode or to zoom the map and a full stop off the road/trail for dinking with tracks or waypoints. I have no desire to find out how good my health benefits are and I'm still hoping to see my kids produce grandchildren. :)

·
Tribe of one
111 Posts
Using the Oregon with Garmin's connect site for I have found lots of new places to ride.This is a great feature when visiting the in laws and traveling. It is easy to get other mtbers ride tracks and load them on to the GPS.

I recommend the rechargeable batteries. If the ride is going to be less than 4 hours I will crank up the back light display and set it to stay on.

It is HR and cadence compatible however this info does not get transfered over when syncing ride data over to the Garmin Connect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts