Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All i see is RP23's and DHX air's. Nobody likes plush coil anymore?

a 2.75/1 ratio requires pretty high pressures in the RP23, no? That would make me want a coil, no doubt.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
danny427 said:
have you ridden it with an air shock?
shirk thanks for posting. i thought something was amiss when i saw no coils. marked improvement over air?

danny, i haven't ridden the covert at all but i generally prefer coil suspension on any of my bikes. if you've used a coil on your frame i'd love to hear what you think..

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I've ridden one weekend on a RP23 on a buddy's Covert.

I hadn't ridden an airshock in awhile and I did not mess with the settings. It had a bouncy feel compared to the nice damp squish feel of a coil. Again it could have been that he had it set up with faster rebound than I like, it just felt that it wanted to shoot back really bouncy in the rebound stage. I didn't ride it on any of my usual Shore trails so I can't compare it to what I know as a baseline.

If the bike is going to see more "freeride" side of all mountain life then I'd say go coil. If this is your one bike for everything and you like to get some air and ride fast dh then go coil. If you have decidacted DH bike and this is more long pedal epics with singletrack climbs go for the RP23. Or best of both worlds get one of each. I plan to get someting like an X-fusion air shock to swap in for long pedal epics.

Now if someone could mod a lock out switch into a DHX coil and a give me a Ti spring, I'd cream my pants.

·
K Lives
140 Posts
shirk said:
I've ridden one weekend on a RP23 on a buddy's Covert.

I hadn't ridden an airshock in awhile and I did not mess with the settings. It had a bouncy feel compared to the nice damp squish feel of a coil. Again it could have been that he had it set up with faster rebound than I like, it just felt that it wanted to shoot back really bouncy in the rebound stage. I didn't ride it on any of my usual Shore trails so I can't compare it to what I know as a baseline.

If the bike is going to see more "freeride" side of all mountain life then I'd say go coil. If this is your one bike for everything and you like to get some air and ride fast dh then go coil. If you have decidacted DH bike and this is more long pedal epics with singletrack climbs go for the RP23. Or best of both worlds get one of each. I plan to get someting like an X-fusion air shock to swap in for long pedal epics.

Now if someone could mod a lock out switch into a DHX coil and a give me a Ti spring, I'd cream my pants.
somehow I don't see that in your future.

I agree with you, having an all coil stable isnt very flexible, but I still can't get myself to be let down by air again.

This time though, my frame will have an rp23, I'll try it before I toss it in the trash, but a roco tst is already on the way. Thanks for the opinions..!

·
Registered
36 Posts
i havent tried the coil. i have the dhxair. i find the suspension a little too linear even though i have the bottom out resistance maxed-out and the piggy back chamber set fairly high. considering this, i am thinking that a coil might be the way to go.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey danny, thats usually my main gripe regarding air shocks. Combine this problem with lack of smallbump sensitivity from stiction due to high pressures, and voilà, poo Suss.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to go coil here. But I've been frustrated with air shocks a lot, and each time coil shock came to save the day.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ColoradoCovert said:
So would you ever take your coiled Covert to a resort?
that is the plan. i'm old and can't push the limits anymore so doing megadrops are not in the future for me. if i feel the need to though, i'll just rent a plow bike. nice flowy singletrack with doubles is what i'm after at this point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.