Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tried the new Chris King BB yet? Sounds like I need to replace mine, and I'm thinking this could be more durable and I like the idea of being able to inject grease. Maybe it would even be cool if I blast it with the hose while I'm cleaning mud off my bike.

Mostly I'm just looking for durability. The Shimano spins fine for me, and at $125 I don't need to be replacing them too often.

·
Lover, not a fighter...
286 Posts
EBrider said:
Has anyone here tried the new Chris King BB yet? Sounds like I need to replace mine, and I'm thinking this could be more durable and I like the idea of being able to inject grease. Maybe it would even be cool if I blast it with the hose while I'm cleaning mud off my bike.

Mostly I'm just looking for durability. The Shimano spins fine for me, and at $125 I don't need to be replacing them too often.
Don't know about durability yet, but I just got mine for my Race Face cranks. Looks killer in the navy blue color, though a little darker blue than my navy King headset. Very light weight too. The entire BB with protective sleeve and 3 spacers weighed exactly 105g on my scale. Great for a bottom bracket that could last a lifetime, eh? Lighter than I expected!

I also got the King installation tool that fits the grooves on the cups like a glove. I would suggest buying it for the extra $25 to $30. I'll buy the grease injection tool at the end of the summer.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
just pressing replacement bearing in from Enduro is another option. Not sure how many LBSs have the tool, but it can be done other ways too

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Fer Sure...

boomn said:
just pressing replacement bearing in from Enduro is another option. Not sure how many LBSs have the tool, but it can be done other ways too
The Enduro bearings are the ticket, great seals and slightly bigger 'balls' eliminates the goofy plastic sleeve inside the bearing!

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In hindsight

That was a stupid question. Why would anyone spend $60 for a BB that may last a year when you can get one with a 5 year warranty for $120.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
i don't think the warranty will help too much with the bearings themselves though, it only covers "defects" and not normal wear and tear or failure to perform maintenance. If you don't buy their grease tool or repack the grease manually I wouldn't expect the bearings to have an infinite life as compared to other brands. You still need to do the work, but it should be easier to do so with a King as that is part of their design

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was a little bit of an exageration because I had to buy the grease gun for another $50, bot that's a one time expense.

2 or 3 years down the road it should pay for itself and I will have a better BB.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
EBrider said:
That was a little bit of an exageration because I had to buy the grease gun for another $50, bot that's a one time expense.

2 or 3 years down the road it should pay for itself and I will have a better BB.
Yeah, I can't argue that it makes more sense than buying a new BB every year or two. I would personally rather pay the <$40 for new Enduro bearings that should last a lot longer and service them manually, but I am cheap like that. King wouldn't have a market if there weren't plenty of people who would pay for something well built that instills a bit more confidence (and a little bling too)

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
I've been runnig mine since the end of last year and I haven't had any issues yet. I wasn't burnung through one a year prior to this, but probably every 18 months. The last BB I replaced, RF housing with Phil Wood insides, was so trashed that the opening we oval.

We'll see how long this lasts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts