Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Niner recommends a 400mm, but the post I want is 350mm only. my frame is not here yet (should be a week) and would like to have my post before it arrives. this is going on a MED frame and I have a 33" measured inseam. I am also only 143lbs, so maybe I don't need as much post inserted as others??

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
vortrex said:
I know Niner recommends a 400mm, but the post I want is 350mm only. my frame is not here yet (should be a week) and would like to have my post before it arrives. this is going on a MED frame and I have a 33" measured inseam. I am also only 143lbs, so maybe I don't need as much post inserted as others??
You dont have to concearn yourself with how much post there is, thats a generic number they gave.

only thing you need to do is make shure that whatever size you get, that around 4-5 inches are always under the clamp (sorry im shure someone else can give an exact mm amount then that balpark i gave :p) So if you keep the seat lower then others you can use a shorter post :)

Me on the other hand, i need a long post >< and i use a 21 inch frame ><

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
vortrex said:
Given the measurements you just gave, you will absolutly need to have a 400mm post. We have a pretty radilcally sloping top tube and have designed it around the longer post (to have better stand over height). A 350 simply will not be long enough for your inseam and running the post above the max height line will void the warranty on both the post and the frame. I know the longer post does limit your choices, but there are some really great posts in 400+mm lengths. Thomson, WTB, Race Face, Easton, just to name a few.

Steve
Niner Bikes

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
If you can get a Thompson Elite or Masterpiece then you need no other seatpost, hands down best.

Unless you want a carbon one, and in that case stop taking crazy pills and go get a Thompson... carbon seat post :p like askin to be nutered in an case of critical failure :p

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks for the info. I will order up a 400mm. this bike is going to be crazy light, so I was hoping to of course save some weight here. makes no sense though if it voids the warranty!

Niner Bikes said:
Given the measurements you just gave, you will absolutly need to have a 400mm post. We have a pretty radilcally sloping top tube and have designed it around the longer post (to have better stand over height). A 350 simply will not be long enough for your inseam and running the post above the max height line will void the warranty on both the post and the frame. I know the longer post does limit your choices, but there are some really great posts in 400+mm lengths. Thomson, WTB, Race Face, Easton, just to name a few.

Steve
Niner Bikes

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Niner,

what is your opinion of a shimmed 27.2 post with your frames? warranty void?

Niner Bikes said:

Steve
Niner Bikes

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
vortrex said:
Niner,

what is your opinion of a shimmed 27.2 post with your frames? warranty void?
As long as the shim is long enough to be inserted at least to the bottom of the top tube/seat tube junction, then it's no problem to run a shim and 27.2mm post.

Steve
Niner Bikes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.