Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got Maxxis High Rollers 2.35 front and back on my bike. In looking/reading online the Ardent looks comparable, and I see on the Transition website that they're selling off Ardents for cheap.

So has anyone had any real-world experience with these tires on Bay Area trails?

Thanks.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
formulate said:
Thanks for the feedback Randon Drivel.

Transition's selling the 2.25s for $25 a pop, so I'm gonna go ahead and give 'em a try. :thumbsup:
That is a great deal. the 2.25s have volume like other mfg's 2.35's. I almost ordered some 2.4's from Transition till I realized they were wire bead.

·
The Green Machine
149 Posts
I just went on my first ride with the Ardent on the front and a 2.4 Motoraptor on the back. So far so good. Riding around Phoenix Lake and Lake Lauganitas so it was mostly fireroads and hardpack stuff. Going on another ride today, we'll see how it goes. I may put on the 2.25 Ardent on the back for today.

I did install the 2.25 when the tires arrived just to see how it looks on the bike and there really is a difference in size between the 2.4 and 2.25. It looks almost like the bikes rake is affected by the difference in size, not sure I really like that though I know it's the more popular route to go (bigger tire in the front). I heard people say the 2.4 was HUGE so I was concerned about clearance on the back, I'm thinking about mounting the 2.4 on the back and if it fits I may just order another 2.4. My brief ride around the neighborhood w/ the 2.25 on the back didn't make it feel much faster or quicker in acceleration anyway.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
littleblue said:
I just went on my first ride with the Ardent on the front and a 2.4 Motoraptor on the back. So far so good. Riding around Phoenix Lake and Lake Lauganitas so it was mostly fireroads and hardpack stuff. Going on another ride today, we'll see how it goes. I may put on the 2.25 Ardent on the back for today.

I did install the 2.25 when the tires arrived just to see how it looks on the bike and there really is a difference in size between the 2.4 and 2.25. It looks almost like the bikes rake is affected by the difference in size, not sure I really like that though I know it's the more popular route to go (bigger tire in the front). I heard people say the 2.4 was HUGE so I was concerned about clearance on the back, I'm thinking about mounting the 2.4 on the back and if it fits I may just order another 2.4. My brief ride around the neighborhood w/ the 2.25 on the back didn't make it feel much faster or quicker in acceleration anyway.
I have a 2.4 on the front, 2.25 on the rear. For local riding conditions I think the smaller tire is faster out back, at least for places like China Camp and the places I ride. The 2.4 up front is nice because it can be run at a lower pressure--I'm running 28psi for now.

I

·
The Green Machine
149 Posts
I did Tamarancho today and so far I like the tire. I couldn't really get up much speed as the trail is really narrow with trees everywhere but so far so good. I stuck with 2.4 Motoraptor on the back for today, I'll try the smaller Ardent in back next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.