Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It occured to me that I could buy a 2005 Fox Float 130R and fit it with a Stratos ID cartridge, effectively producing the equivalent of a long travel Terralogic fork, for about $50.00 less than a Fox F100X. MBA gave the Stratos ID a glowing review but I sure would like to hear some real world opinions. I was also wondering if anyone knows if it will work with the 130mm. Fox Float. MBA tested it with a125mm. TALAS, so only 5mm. more travel.
Thanks,

Ronnie.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Air forks don't bob as much as coil shocks anyway, and especially if you are getting an RLC, I would think that the stratos ID cartridge would be a huge waste of money. It would be usefull if you could lock the fork down like marzocchis ETA or ECC, because climbing with 5" forks can be difficult sometimes when the front end wants to pop up and wander all over the place.

Over the years, stratos has had a lot of trouble with durability and quality control. You'd be taking a risk here, one that despite the other reasons that I listed, may not be worth it alone. My stratos S8 was ok, about 2lbs heavier than it needed to be, but my stratos MX6 was crap, in fact the damping cartridges have a part in them that are notorious for breaking, and mine was no exception. The glide ring broke on mine, and even though it's fairly easy to replace, it makes the fork feel horrible. This is why I'd be apprehensive about a stratos fork cartridge. I have a stratos helix expert that I only blew once, but I blow most shocks anyway, in the long run it's been one of the more reliable shocks Ive owned, although the air spring + progressive wound coil spring + a progressive linkage bike, felt like poop.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I haven't decided on a fork yet. The idea, if I was to go for it, was to buy the Float 130R as I'd replace the damping cartridge anyway. I've got a Minute 3:00 on my bike and I'm not really happy with it. If you want to keep it plush the thing bobs like a cork in a storm when you stand up and hammer, especially coming off a Fox F100X which is a real stable platform. Manitou obviously didn't get it right the first time as they appear to have made big changes for their 2005 models.

I also feel that being able to change fork travel is grossly over rated. I bought the minute 3:00 because of the 100mm. lock down for climbing but rarely use it and climb quite happily at 130mm. If I was to do it again I would have chosen the Minute 2:00.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I'd also like to hear a review from someone who's ACTUALLY used the ID from Stratos.

I have an S8 and am more than pleased with the damping characteristics. In my drealings with them, I doubt they'd release a product unless it has superior properties and the Fox does have room for improvement (I have a Float too on my XC rig that I would like to improve upon). I haven't read the article yet but if they're basically using similar damping technology with "platform valving" then I'd say it will definitely be a winner.

G MAN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts