Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info...i live in the hills of the appalachains with lots of creeks and streams in the mountains so when it rains the grouns stays wet for awhile. maybe the moto raptor would make a better rear tire...or maybe the wierwolfs front and rear?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
d34thc4p said:
thanks for the info...i live in the hills of the appalachains with lots of creeks and streams in the mountains so when it rains the grouns stays wet for awhile. maybe the moto raptor would make a better rear tire...or maybe the wierwolfs front and rear?
im not that experienced in tires but i currently run maxxis high rollers, they are amazing fro mud traction where othere people said they dont work well, run those front and rear and it will work great

·
Registered
312 Posts
Like Freerider said...

The Timberwolf rocks in dry conditions...loamy, loose hardpack, fireroad...not great in the mud.

Haven't ridden it...but I'm told the Weir "tracks" when riding skinnies and such and ain't such a good freeride front tire.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Here is the DEAL. WTB no longer makes the LASER cased MOTORAPTOR 2.4s and that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I have ridden them down TUNNEL trail in SB with 17lbs and put about 6 dings per rim and never flatted. They are GOOD tires and roll well. I now have a WEIRWOLF in front and a MOTO in back the last LASER I own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can get LASER motos get, if LANCASTER got 21st in the 2001 WORLDS on em they are probabley good enough for all. I guess I like them due to good luck

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,775 Posts
WTB Timberwolves are the worst tires I have ever used, in dry, loose, damp, or muddy conditions. The Weirwolves have been decent although the sideknobs were a bit squirmy. People either love or hate those as well. The Weirwolf would be a decent front tire, but you might want something that acually hooks up and holds a line in the back like a Michelin.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
ianjenn said:
Here is the DEAL. WTB no longer makes the LASER cased MOTORAPTOR 2.4s and that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I have ridden them down TUNNEL trail in SB with 17lbs and put about 6 dings per rim and never flatted. They are GOOD tires and roll well. I now have a WEIRWOLF in front and a MOTO in back the last LASER I own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can get LASER motos get, if LANCASTER got 21st in the 2001 WORLDS on em they are probabley good enough for all. I guess I like them due to good luck
i LIKE to capiTOLIZE random WORDS too!!!!!1!!!

Or MaYbE EvEn RaNdOm LeTtErS aS WeLl

RaaAAaAAaAaAWwWwWwWwWwWrRrRRrRr...cAP LOCK MAKES ME FEEL BIG

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have to concur on the Timberwolves. Worst tires I've ever ridden.

Last year at Snowshoe in September it was bone dry, supposedly the sweet spot for these bastard tires, and all they did all weekend was wash out whenever the trail had the smallest amount of loose over hardpack (like 2" deep gravel). They never once felt secure up front.

If you want dry condition tires go for Maxxis Minion Front or a Mobster or a Highroller or a length of sheep intestine stretched over the wheel and inflated with farts. Anything, even the latter, would be better than a Timberwolf.

That said, anyone want to buy my pair of 2.5 Timberwolves? Only $25 for the pair! Ridden down two trails only! ;)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hot Butter Topping said:
I have to concur on the Timberwolves. Worst tires I've ever ridden.

Last year at Snowshoe in September it was bone dry, supposedly the sweet spot for these bastard tires, and all they did all weekend was wash out whenever the trail had the smallest amount of loose over hardpack (like 2" deep gravel). They never once felt secure up front.

If you want dry condition tires go for Maxxis Minion Front or a Mobster or a Highroller or a length of sheep intestine stretched over the wheel and inflated with farts. Anything, even the latter, would be better than a Timberwolf.

That said, anyone want to buy my pair of 2.5 Timberwolves? Only $25 for the pair! Ridden down two trails only! ;)
the sheep intestine doesnt work, trust me...even inflated with farts:p

·
ride hard take risks
25,256 Posts
Timberwolf is a awsome front tire in many conditions, big square moto style knobs. They can be slippery on wet roots, but hay what isn't. Did not like it in the back, has no braking power on the rear wheel. Run the WTB in front & a 2.35 HighRoller out back, very sweet setup. :cornut::cool:

·
SamIAm
2,037 Posts
i run a 2.7 timberwolf in the front and a 2.5 weirwolf in the back and i think its an awsome combo. i think they hook up great on loose ****. and the backtire isnt the best in the muddy **** but for hardpack and whatnot it is great.

·
USB Rep'n
2,411 Posts
RadChad said:
throw some MotoRaptors on.... all smiles:thumbsup:
I run a Moto 2.4 in front (can't see this as a rear tire at all) and a Kenda Nev in back. Ive been liking this combo in all conditions other than really tacky mud (where nothing does well). Kenda Kinetics are nice too (and cheap) but wear fairly quickly and don't have the sidewall strength of the Moto. Try the Moto up front, I think you dig it.

·
noMAD man
12,164 Posts
Different Weirwolf tires. I run the 2.5 Weirwolf Race in the front in tubeless setup. It's a non-UST tire but works well when run tubeless on the front. I couldn't get this tire to last on the rear in rocky technical terrain, as it would get tears...no such problem on the front. The 2.5 Race only weighs about 730g.

For the rear I run a 2.3 Weirwolf Freeride. It has an extra inner casing referred to as "Inner Peace". This beefed up casing stands up to the rocks and provides a firmer platform for the rear. It adds some weight to the tire, but it's worth it at about 830g. The rear tire takes much more abuse in rough, rocky terrain IMO. It's only marginally smaller than the 2.5 Weirwolf. You really have to look closely when they're mounted, as they look the same size. The non-UST 2.3 Weirwolf Freeride works well also in tubeless setup.

The Weirwolf tread pattern works well in dry terrain whether loose or hardpack. I think it's a good aggressive trail tire. It's probably not the best choice for more exteme freeride though it handles moderate jumps and drops just fine.

·
Recovering
1,482 Posts
Just took off a set of 2.5 Timberwolves that I've been riding for a year, and replaced them with some 2.5 Stick-E Nevegals for Diablo last weekend. Now I'm wondering why I waited so long. The Timberwolves were a great trail-riding tire, and they were absolutely great for traction riding in the snow last winter, but for DH runs at Plattekill and Diablo so far this year, my front wheel was washing out all over the place, and I took some unnecessary spills. Lost confidence in them. Nevegals were amazing this past weekend. Took a run to get used to them, but after that, I just didn't have to think about them- they stuck to everything, and pulled me out of some sticky situations that would have meant sure crashes on the Timberwolves...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so i should stay away from the wtb tires all together?
and the maxxis high rollers or the kenda nevs. are the way to go?
ok sounds good...where can a set for cheap. and what size?
im wanting atleast 2.3

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.