Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Riding or Fishing
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got myself a pair of Conti Mountain Kings in 2.2 Supersonic.
I was planning on going with the Protection version, but a couple of LBS told me they might not get em until Summer. Anyways, the price was right, so I grabbed em while I could.
I'm a little concerned with durability though. I am a clyde for sure, and 95% of the time, I have to ride on the street to get to the trails, and there is usually glass and whatever else all over the place.
So, I'm thinking about running a liner. I've done some reading, and called some shops, and they just want way too much money for em, so I've been looking at eBay and a few other places.
For those of you that have used a liner, what was your overall experience? Any one brand in particular stick out in your mind?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks guys!

·
Expert Crasher
6,356 Posts
Mr. Tuffy brown liners worked well for me in Kansas (aka Thorn country).

They add weight but I don't think you'll notice since the Supersonics are undoubtedly lighter than what was OEM.

You'll want to make sure and read the instructions ref. overlap, etc. Other than that - fairly easy to use.

·
Riding or Fishing
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GLG, much appreciated.
I checked out eBay for them, and there is some up there, but shipping to Canada is way out of wack, or they only ship UPS, which I refuse to do.
I'll figure something out hopefully.

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
If you're worried about flats, is there any reason you haven't considered going tubeless?

·
Riding or Fishing
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the hassle more than anything.
My bike is an all purpose bike that I use 3 different sets of tires on. It's enough hassle just going from my road tires to my off road tires.
And yes, I am considering buying another wheelset, but I still think just swapping tires is the way to go.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I tried tire liners when I first started riding in AZ because I thought there would be a lot of thorns (there are, just not on the well traveled trails). I was also getting flats all the time, but it was due to pinch flats more than thorns -pinch flats were actually more frequent with liners. I can't say I've ever had a flat from broken glass, but I've always heard there's a danger. Going from no liners to having liners I remember the ride being a lot harsher and the added weight made it feel like I was towing an anvil. They probably weren't the high end type or anything, but it made me not want to ride any liners anymore.

Maybe in the future you should look out for tires that have kevlar casings (not just beads). There are tires that have kevlar in the tread area to help prevent punctures. Maybe they would be durable enough for you.

·
Expert Crasher
6,356 Posts
Serfas has a line of tires with embedded 'tire liners' - might be worth a look. Look at the Serfas Krest.

One other thing, Specialized has some self-sealing latex filled tubes - might be something easier to source in Canada?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Slime tubes are also self healing...not crazy about the stems on their presta tubes though...use the slime tubes with slime liners...haven't have a thorn flat in a year and a half (thats following 3 thorn flats in 2 weeks!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts