Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you used Tioga tires like the Red Phoenix or Yellow Kirin (I think that's the name)? Any feedback? A magazine I had read rated them pretty well so I was curious if anyone here had any experience with them. If you have, please post your input here. Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup- thaose are what I have been using the past two years- Karmas and now on to Nevegals (1.95 in back; 2.1 in front).

I loved my Karmas- not sure why the heck I switched but I'll use them and take advantage of the extra grip. The Karmas were nice on the ASR-SL. On such a fast bike, when I sprinted out of turn or dips, I'd always pull a lead over the rest. They all think I'm a fast accelerator but the bike is responsive and stiff and the tires have little rolling resistance but I let them think I'm fast :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yellow Kirin

I ran Yellow Kirin's for about 3 or 4 rides before they went into the trash. They are death on anything but hardpack. If you're set on trying them, I think I saw one of the on-line stores advertising them for $12 - Sorry I don't remember which.

C

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,439 Posts
Tioga rubber

I've used the following:

Extreme XC 2.1 - large volume, light for the size, rolls well, corners well on the front (once you have the pressure set right for your weight / style - same as all rubber). Fairly soft compound. Reasonably good grip on the back. A big, light tyre that can cop some curry.

Red Phoenix 1.9 - as big as some maker's 2.0 tyres. Super light, rolls super fast and wears quick. Grip is pretty good early on in its life, even with the low centre knobs. Basically a hardpack and race tyre. I only ever ran these on the back.

Blue Dragon 2.1 - heavy, slow, stiff carcass, not a lot of climbing grip on the back due to the wierd little ridge at the bottom of the knobs. Large volume casing. Wear very fast which is good - you can then throw them as far as physically possible. Only used on the rear.

One of my friends sells GT's and all the 05 and 06 bikes come with the Blue Dragon rear and Yellow Kirin front combo. They are not generally well thought of, a lot of his customers (a lot of them being trailriding types) are replacing them with 2.1 Factory DH's, Extreme XC's or a variety of Maxxis tyres. It seems to me the "trail" tyres, being the Blue Dragon and Yellow Kirin are way heavier than they need to be.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Good tires

Red Phoenix 1.9 is a very grippy front and rear tire. Super light but wears fast. Factory extreme 2.1 is a heavy duty version of the Phoenix, also fast wearing.Both tires are a little larger than their stated sizes. I ride east coast rocks and roots. They work well for me. I like that they wear fast because it gives me a good excuse to try another brand of tire.I've already tried 21 different tires.

Flyer said:
Have any of you used Tioga tires like the Red Phoenix or Yellow Kirin (I think that's the name)? Any feedback? A magazine I had read rated them pretty well so I was curious if anyone here had any experience with them. If you have, please post your input here. Thanks!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Blue Dragon High Energy

Flyer said:
I'm using the Blur Dragon High Energy (not sure what difference the HE makes) on my new Titus ML. I only have a couple of rides and 4 hours on them, but no complaints so far. They're a high volume tire that rolls pretty well and gets good traction without being too heavy. Tires are such a personal item depending upon where you live, the time of year, your riding style and your size that no matter what people say the best way to see if they work for you is to try them.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The Factory DH 2.3 is a great cheap tire. The rubber is softer and grippier than standard hard rubbers, but not as soft as Kenda Sticky. I love the F DH for Utah where I tend to rip Kenda knobs off. The F DH can be had SO CHEAP! They are heavy and every ounce performs for the price.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Extreme XC 2.1

I've had a pair of Extreme XC tires (with the real square knobs) for 2 years, and loved them, wore them out, and put them on my bike when I ride on the road. They're extremely light, nice and wide profile. They wore so fast, I just used them as beater tires, and really love them for that. I would even consider buying some more if I could find them cheap, as they were a very soft rubber, which was nice and tacky, but obviously wore fast.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! I'll see if I can find them at $9.99 price and try them or keep them as "backup tires" if I rip through my current ones.

I think I'll stick with my Kendas as my primary tires for now but at $9.99 each, I'll try the Tiogas.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Flyer said:
Thanks guys! I'll see if I can find them at $9.99 price and try them or keep them as "backup tires" if I rip through my current ones.

I think I'll stick with my Kendas as my primary tires for now but at $9.99 each, I'll try the Tiogas.
If you want fast race-oriented tires have you tried Nokian NBX lites or Schwalbes?

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
I'm currently running a set of Psychos, NOS. I've got the butterscotch on front, and the hi carbon content reversed on the rear. Both are 2.0

Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.