Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
wow, that is cheap. the hubs aren't all that "hardcore", but pretty much any 20mm hub will last ok. xt hubs are ok, replace the axle wiht a solid one, and they will stand up to some abuse. they have very few engagment points though, (like 12 or something ridiculous like that). for the price though, thats hard to beat. outlaws are also cheap and good wheels.

·
No known cure
5,600 Posts
Re. the front hub...

jbordwine said:
Anyone using Sun Singletracks? I came across these and it seems to be a good price.

http://shop.greatdealsonbikes.com/m...ode=GDOB&Product_Code=DBW09&Category_Code=DBW

They would be going on a 05 Coiler Trail/Lite DH bike. I have read that they are a little heavy buy I'm on a very tight budget! Anyone know of any other wheelset deals with a 20mm front hub?
It looks like the front hub is a TX Quando. I have been using this hub for a couple years and have been pretty impressed. I weigh 190lbs with gear and have raced it(hard) at Big Bear, Fontana, Northstar, Mammoth, ect. The bearings are still solid and have the right amount of drag. If Shimano had an XT 20mm hub, this would be it. The finish matches the XT rear exactly. Get 'em.

Attachments

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
jbordwine said:
Anyone using Sun Singletracks? I came across these and it seems to be a good price.

http://shop.greatdealsonbikes.com/m...ode=GDOB&Product_Code=DBW09&Category_Code=DBW

They would be going on a 05 Coiler Trail/Lite DH bike. I have read that they are a little heavy buy I'm on a very tight budget! Anyone know of any other wheelset deals with a 20mm front hub?
Handlaced with nice spokes and decent hubs. Go for it. Should be fairly strong. Convert the rear to a 10mm bolt-on and you're set.

·
Registered
812 Posts
My wheelset was handbuilt, and I'm on singletracks. I havent had any problem with them at all, they do their job well enough for me. You'll be fine, especially on a trail/ lite DH bike, thats pretty much me as well.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Morda said:
Single tracks are prettu weak.

If you do what I do...
yo, i beat the sh!t outa my singletracks for 3 seasons and they are still pretty true...since i didnt want to take any chances with the rear XT hub(which i had to rebuild) i moved to handbuilt brand new double tracks which i managed to break both the front, and 2 weeks later, the back within a month of riding them. and what happend? i moved back to my single tracks and rode em for another month until my Outlaws came...IMO, for a lightrider like myself (160ib), single tracks were more then enough for what i was doing (DH,FR). for street though, you deff need a stronger wheelset like the outlaws. I would get outlaws str8 up and save yourself the trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.