Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed SRAM AXS XX1 on my mountain bike. I used the Matchmaker mount, as you would expect. Trouble is, with this mounting system, no matter how you mount the controller, it hits the top of your thumb. Very uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I found a solution almost as soon as I posted my question. The answer is this: the Matchmaker simply won't work with the AXS controller. I don't know how on earth that simple ergonomic design got overlooked. It was the first thing I noticed when I installed the controller. My thumb had no room and was hitting it. I even moved my entire brake lever/controller assembly over about 1/4", which was totally counterproductive given that my levers were right where I wanted them to be, but even that adjustment didn't work.

So I moved my lever clamp back to where it was, ditched the Matchmaker, and used the standalone handlebar mount on the stem-side of my brake lever. FINALLY. This is actually comfortable and workable. Now I'm ready to give the system a try.

Here is the original setup.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory

Then after I ditched the Matchmaker and went for the standalone clamp. Much better and clearance for my thumb.

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Automotive tire

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i use both (one bike has guides, the other xtr) styles, no issue with either. It looks like your brakes are angled quite steeply, might be a reason for the MMs not being ideal?
Good question. I don't think so because you can rotate the controller independent of the brake lever angle, and I tried every position. The issue is the left-right position and not the rotational position. If you look at the photo from Bike Mag's review of the AXS Eagle (which coincidentally uses my exact same bike), they've made the same change. Even though the bike they reviewed has SRAM brakes with MM, they opted for the same configuration.

https://www.bikemag.com/news/first-ride-sram-axs-wireless-eagle-reverb/

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
I have long thumbs. Every. Single. Shifter. is in the way when set up with an integrated clamp. I tried integrated clamps years ago, hated the lack of adjustment, and moved back to separate clamps in short order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have long thumbs. Every. Single. Shifter. is in the way when set up with an integrated clamp. I tried integrated clamps years ago, hated the lack of adjustment, and moved back to separate clamps in short order.
Makes sense. The standalone mount just gives you more freedom to adjust variables independently. I'm just surprised the standard Matchmaker setup is unworkable.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wish I came across it earlier. I was going to go with the Matchmaker clamps so I ordered some oil slick Ti bolts to match the G2 brake hardware. When I tried installing it with the Matchmaker "right" that came with the rear brake the shifter was halfway under the grip. So I switched it to the Matchmaker "left" that came with the front brake. Better but still overlapping the grip. Ended up with the standalone clamp and had to order another set of Ti oil slick bolts and wait a week 😜.
The final setup as you can see is waaaaaaaay outside where the Matchmaker can position the shifter.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, I found a solution almost as soon as I posted my question. The answer is this: the Matchmaker simply won't work with the AXS controller. I don't know how on earth that simple ergonomic design got overlooked. It was the first thing I noticed when I installed the controller. My thumb had no room and was hitting it. I even moved my entire brake lever/controller assembly over about 1/4", which was totally counterproductive given that my levers were right where I wanted them to be, but even that adjustment didn't work.

View attachment 1275259
Use a left handed matchmaker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.