Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a huge Lance fan, but I found the Daily Plate and it's great for me. It allows you to track your food and nutrition, as well as your fitness. It breaks down your diet so you know what you are actually taking in and allows you to set goals and gives you a target to reach that goal. Additionally there are apps available for Blackberry and iPhone so you can track on the go. It is really making me conscious of what I eat and almost makes it a game to see if I can come in under my daily calorie/fat/sodium/sugar allowance. If you obsess about details, it's great.

·
Registered
522 Posts
"I'm not a Lance fan, but..."

You sure see this a lot. I think most of us are Lance fans. Not to say we admire behaviors, but it is nothing short of remarkable that people who "are not Lance fans" will spend hours on his sites, check his twitter account daily, and discuss Lance issues on 3 or more cycling forums.

Even those of us who think he is a total prick are Lance fans;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, for clarification...I'm not a sycophant. I've been riveted by his accomplishments and amazed by his feats. I don't follow his sites, twitter, etc. I only found this because i searched for a food diary on my blackberry and it is the best setup I've found. I think he is a strange contrast of great person and total jerk...but I don't actually know the guy. I wasn't trying to talk about Lance as much as to say this seems like a good tool and even if you don't like Lance it's still a good tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use the site for not only meal tracking but also for exercise input to track calories burned. Great set of tools to help keep you calorie negative if you are trying to lose weight.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I track everything I consume througth My Daily Plate. I don't think there is a better way to control weight than keeping a log. You are not only able to regulate your coloric intake but you learn the caloric value of everything. Now I feel like I can look at any meal or food and guess within a reasonable degree the calcoric content.

I am still working to dial in my ideal race weight. I'm 6'4" and started at 240. I'm at 195 now and want to land right around 188. I have a large structure so I think that is as low as I can go and not comprimise strength.

I tried a hunred ways of dieting and in the end it was just a matter of tracking diet. Livestrong.com has a great tracking system.

P.S. I would have lances baby if I wasnt a dude.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
I've just started looking for something like this but please tell me there's something available that doesn't promote Lance????

And no, I don't follow his Twitter (or anyone's for that matter), FB, blogs, etc. I dreaded watching the TDF last year because everyday it was something new about him. Sure, he's brought an awareness to cycling in the US...or has he? Has he made it any safer to be on the roads on skinny tires? Until he uses his influence to help get legislation passed...no.

But this thread isn't about him, it's about an online program that helps you track your diet. So let's stay focused on that ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
k2biker said:
I've just started looking for something like this but please tell me there's something available that doesn't promote Lance????

And no, I don't follow his Twitter (or anyone's for that matter), FB, blogs, etc. I dreaded watching the TDF last year because everyday it was something new about him. Sure, he's brought an awareness to cycling in the US...or has he? Has he made it any safer to be on the roads on skinny tires? Until he uses his influence to help get legislation passed...no.

But this thread isn't about him, it's about an online program that helps you track your diet. So let's stay focused on that ;)
Try the USDA dietary planning and analysis tools:
http://www.mypyramid.gov/

BTW: Lance has used his celebrity to promote worthwhile things. Look at the resource we are discussing. Also, cancer kills more people than cycling accidents, so why does Lance need to start working to get bicycling legislation passed?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
k2biker said:
Honestly, other than it saying Livestrong on the page and the header being black and yellow, it doesn't promote Lance at all. Not a word about him when I go there. I say use it. It's free unless you want the Blackberry app and that's just $2.99 one time fee. It's a really great way to track nutrition and exercise. I was just looking at my intake so far today and making evaluations about what I needed to do to make it be more in line with what is suggested daily allowances. nothing else I've tried has made me cognizant of that throughout the day. Try it!

BTW, I took a look at the USDA site and it's worthwhile, but a LOT more work than Daily Plate, IMHO. With DP you just start typing in what you ate and smart search options come up and it's extremely easy to find what you need.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
johnlh said:
Try the USDA dietary planning and analysis tools:
http://www.mypyramid.gov/

BTW: Lance has used his celebrity to promote worthwhile things. Look at the resource we are discussing. Also, cancer kills more people than cycling accidents, so why does Lance need to start working to get bicycling legislation passed?
Don't try that! WTF would you use anything put out there by the USDA - US Dept of Agriculture? :nono: Don't you know that is like asking a pharmacist what you should eat? He will tell you pills. The USDA is controlled by lobbyists and they will tell you to eat and drink cow and corn products. And some fruits and veggies.

You want to eat healthy? Turn the pyramid groups upside down.

As for another site that has great tools and a good user community:
The Daily Burn.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
CharacterZero said:
Don't try that! WTF would you use anything put out there by the USDA - US Dept of Agriculture? :nono: Don't you know that is like asking a pharmacist what you should eat? He will tell you pills. The USDA is controlled by lobbyists and they will tell you to eat and drink cow and corn products. And some fruits and veggies.

You want to eat healthy? Turn the pyramid groups upside down.

As for another site that has great tools and a good user community:
The Daily Burn.
Great thread! I especially like it because I get to see "Jillian Michael" in the Ad at the top of the page........:thumbsup:

On serious not I looked at the Livestrong on and it looked pretty good.

·
Registered
198 Posts
k2biker said:
Fitday.com is an excellent site, and can generate all sorts of reports to help you understand where your calories are coming from, how many nutrients you're getting, etc. Highly recommend.

http://www.fitday.com

·
Smarter Than He Looks
610 Posts
I just started using Daily Plate after reading about it here. It's a great set of tools....even automatically generates a pie graph of your macronutrient intake.

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
I use it off and on. Currently using my own spreadsheet to track intake/burn b/c my wife is telling me calorie counts since she's doing a lot of cooking these days, so just easier to use my own spreadsheeet. When I do use it, its pretty handy.

On the Daily Plate though, I agree it doesn't mention Lance Armstrong at all. Its a LiveStrong site/tool, not Lance Armstrong tool. Admittedly, they generally go hand in hand in most minds, but there is a difference. Plus, as a Cancer survivor, I admire Lance's dedication to the cause. I spent 10 years post-cancer thinking I couldnt' be an athlete anymore since I lost knee, bones and muscle to cancer, but a few years ago got inspired by LA to try to get on a bike...now i'm doing my 1st 24 hour race in a month. Should he have used a pacer at Leadville, probably not, but the good the man has done far outweighs the bad....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up, I just signed up. It looks like it is pretty easy to use. I don't have too much diversity in my diet, and most things and places I eat came right up easily.
Never mind that my breakfast has already exceeded my sugar allowance for today. It is exactly what I need to open my eyes to the abuse I deal out to my body every day.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bornhere said:
Never mind that my breakfast has already exceeded my sugar allowance for today. It is exactly what I need to open my eyes to the abuse I deal out to my body every day.
I like it a lot for that reason. It allows me to be cognizant of what's actually going into my body. I do great on calories and almost never go over about 50% on cholesterol, but sodium and sugars are hard if you eat anything processed. Even a banana packs on the sugar! Protein is tough because I love meat, but I'm learning to scale back to fit the daily requirements. Now this Saturday when I'm out to a nice restaurant on a date with my wife? Forget it...bring on the steak!

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
I have a little app for my Treo, have to look and see what the name is. Specifically for diabetics, allows me to put in meals, shows approximate sugar, calorie, and carb readings for that meal, ties in with glucose levels and meds. Works well.

For the record, I'm not a Lance fan. I was the first time he won, and the second (admit it, that was pretty cool), but now? Geez..........give it up already. Get off the race circuit, open a school for aspiring racers and use all that knowledge for something other than yellow wristbands.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just started using it last week. I was a skeptic for a long time but I have found it keeps me honest - no more whole bags of chips at random, cans of nuts ect

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
I ran the ap on my iPhone for a while. It was a really good way to control what I ate. In fact, I think I underestimated my calorie requirements and ended up eating a bit too little. I ended up lighter than I'd been in 14 years and lost the ability to stay warm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts