Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been riding on Bontrager Jones XRs for around six months. I've liked them on the road and canals, but they don't do so well dirt and rocks. They slide in turns and down hills...if I apply any brakes.

I tried some Bontrager AcX tires a few weeks ago and though they gripped much beeter on the trail, but were really squirly on the pavement. So much so, I went down on some gravel:madmax:

I just baought a set of IRC FreedomCross tires, on the sales persons word that they were sticky on the dirt and realatively fast rolling and sure footed on the pavement. I searched the reviews, but there were none for this tire.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these tires to confirm my findings and the salespersons claims?

I know there are no perfect tires...I'm just tring to save myself from road rash and broken bones:D

I'm a novice, so I'm not discounting my lack of experience as part of the issue either...

·
Photog Cyclist.
401 Posts
GF---
This tire goes by the name Trail Bear--I know I have seen some reviews in the review section.

I use the 2.25 in the front on my hard tail---I like it--rolls well--hooks up on hard-pack and works well in the sandy loose stuff. Nice tire a little heavy but good sidewalls and holds up well.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Best all around tire made to date

I run the Trailbears and LOVE them. They roll great on the pavement and have KILLER grip in MOST situation's. Here is a link to the reviews. They are VERY LONG WEARING. Also they are very inexpensive online and sometimes they go on super sale for 13 bucks per tire. PricePoint and Performance usually have the best deals on them.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Tire/product_124046.shtml

Attachments

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
No comparison

GF_TASS said:
How would the TrailBears compare to the Mythos XCs at the same price?
The Trailbears are so much better than the mythos it's not funny.
Much chunkier knobs and burlier and many more of them, a pretty decent volume tire that is tough as nails and the mythos are paper delicate. Super traction with the Bears.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for your input. I've read the reviews on both, but it's kinda tough to figure out a side-by-side comparison, unless someone has used both:D

WARP, It's interesting you say you didn't like the front Mythos. Some of the TrailBear reviewers say the front's let loose too quickly. I'm not questioning your comment, but am wondering what you disliked about them. Of course the TrailBear does seem to have a front/rear tread pattern combined, but there are many comments regarding weight.

With that said, I have a long way to go, before I can get my bike to be as light as any of the guys I ride with:rolleyes: A half pound difference of the TrailBear to Mythos makes very little dofference to my bike, unless I go on an all out gram sheding excapade:mad:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
GF_TASS said:
WARP, It's interesting you say you didn't like the front Mythos.
Mythos
Pros:
Light
Relatively long lasting

Cons:
Well undersized for a 2.1", mine got at close to 1.95"
Lets loose way too quickly, cornering grip is from poor to embarrassing
Not enough braking traction

And that kills the tyre... You want cornering grip on a front tyre. The Mythos is not there. As someone else, it ain't even a comparison to the Trailbear.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warp said:
Mythos
Pros:
Light
Relatively long lasting

Cons:
Well undersized for a 2.1", mine got at close to 1.95"
Lets loose way too quickly, cornering grip is from poor to embarrassing
Not enough braking traction

And that kills the tyre... You want cornering grip on a front tyre. The Mythos is not there. As someone else, it ain't even a comparison to the Trailbear.
Any idea how wide the TrailBear 2.5 are? If they run small as well, I may be able to fit them on my Fisher

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
From what I understand

GF_TASS said:
Any idea how wide the TrailBear 2.5 are? If they run small as well, I may be able to fit them on my Fisher
The 2.5 Trailbear might be a shade under 2.5 but is a VERY TALL tire with HUGE VOLUME. The main beef is not the width but the height.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
danoalb said:
The 2.5 Trailbear might be a shade under 2.5 but is a VERY TALL tire with HUGE VOLUME. The main beef is not the width but the height.
That won't work. I can go wider, but not taller... The 2.25s it is.

Thank you all for your input and help.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've given the Trailbears a good run now and really like them. They seem to provide me the mix of road/trail performance I was looking for. As it turned out, my stock tires were wire beaded,so the weight was about the same.

Thank you all for your recommendations.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
One thing about the Trailbears is that in wet conditions, because they are not sticky rubber, they will slide out on you. But in all other conditions they are ok.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the 2.25's a while ago and just put them on my Kona Shred which is a hard tail with a Talus RLC and 25mm Mavic's... these tires BLEW ME AWAY. I bought them at Performance super-cheap.. and while the weight is not XC light, the handling was off the chart. My first ride was a rainy day at China Camp in Marin and it was muddy/sandy and wet... I ran 32 psi and out cornered everyone I rode with. The tread knobs are huge and stable, and the volume of the tire is more like a 2.4...

2nd ride on them was dry and I still killed it... it felt like my YZ250!! I love these tires. I am a big dude and ride HARD.:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.