Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone Use Crossmax UST? What's the easiest tire to mount and remove? Some are terribly difficult. I know this is a wheel/ tire question but I like staying in my back yard. I trust you folks.

Anyone use UST successfully, i.e., flat free, without Stan's or other sealant? When used in the recommend amount, I think I weighed it at close to 100 grams. So sue me for wanted to shave weight. :)

Thanks much. Peace.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
wyatt said:
Anyone Use Crossmax UST? What's the easiest tire to mount and remove? Some are terribly difficult. I know this is a wheel/ tire question but I like staying in my back yard. I trust you folks.

Anyone use UST successfully, i.e., flat free, without Stan's or other sealant? When used in the recommend amount, I think I weighed it at close to 100 grams. So sue me for wanted to shave weight. :)

Thanks much. Peace.
I had good luck with Contis and Hutchinsons. I had a hard time with Tiogas but they seated finally. Michelins sucked. None of them are hard to mount or remove.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I run the crossmax xl on my Ibis, not my X5; I have used IRC Mythos XC (not happy with them) and Panaracer TrailBlasters (better). Both worked fine without Stan's or other sealant, and both were equally easy/difficult to mount. My beef with the IRC is that the sidewalls were too weak. I tore through several of them in short order.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hmmm

P Fradale said:
I run the crossmax xl on my Ibis, not my X5; I have used IRC Mythos XC (not happy with them) and Panaracer TrailBlasters (better). Both worked fine without Stan's or other sealant, and both were equally easy/difficult to mount. My beef with the IRC is that the sidewalls were too weak. I tore through several of them in short order.
Come to think of it I ripped the sidewalls on 2 of those Contis. I forgot about that.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
P Fradale said:
I think the problem is that some companies make the sidewalls way too thin in the pursuit of a light tire, at least in the XC models.
I think you're right. Plus some of those Contis have big ol' sidewalls on them. I used Continental regular tubed tires on my Crossmax, tubeless with Stan's strips. I thought they worked better than the UST models. I used the Protection series tires with the beefed up sidewalls.

When I took those Contis off I could barely break the bead loose. I work at a shop and I change about 6 to 15 tires a day. When you change that many tires you get pretty good at it. I struggled with these things for about 10 to 15 minutes a tire!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.