Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Shimano 105 is a cheap alternative for a DJ or 4x bike. It also depends on the cogset that you run because the ultra-short cages on road derailleurs have limits. You can't run a 11-34.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
They're a little lighter and you can run less chain - especially with a smaller cassette (28t max)

Makes for a quieter/smoother bike in the park - and better clearance for DH rocky/rutted deraileir stealing lines -- and since you're DHing - an 11-25 or 11-28 cassette is good.. tighter spacing between gears and no need for a 34 because its DOWN hill....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would I be able to run one with an 11-32 cassette? If not is there something similar that would work well. I would be running this on a 05' Cowan that came with a Deore LX that is wayyyy to long and noisy

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Make sure your chain is long enough

I went to a short cage 105 with a 11-34 cassette. It shifted great but I quickly learned the chain wasn't long enough. While in the middle of the cassette the chain growth from pedal bob ripped off my derailuer hanger. Bummer, so make sure your chain is long enough!

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Tradeoffs everywhere. I do mostly DJ and DH/FR so I would rather run a 11X25 cassette and a nice road short cage derailleur. I'm on a HT too.

Good idea?

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
I ride with the super-short cage DuraAce and an 11-32 on two of my bikes, and it's been fine.
32 is the biggest that will work on my setup, 34 won't fit...

Short cage is fine, as long as you are running a single in the front. If you're running a dual setup, you should stick with a medium cage rear.

·
DIRTYAMERICAN
334 Posts
When I bought my Banshee almost 2 years ago I spend 300 bucks for a new rear wheel to be compatible with the 12mm axle. Very nice wheel. Then I threw my derailleur into the spokes 3 times going off some bigger drops, thereby tearing out a lot of spokes. Crap! So I pulled an old 105 road der. off an old bike of mine and things have been fine since. Those 105s are effective and cheap!

Edit: Oh yeah, I think I'm running an 11-34 cassette but running a single ring (with chainguide) up front so no problems with chain length.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think i'm going to try one out since I have an 11-32 (realized I said 11-34 in a previous post). For the price it seems like the way to go since I was and still may eventually get a short cage Sram X9 or XO.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I rode 105's with 11-34 cassette and XT shifter and find it the best budget set up for DHing....

105 SS cage (super short) can go trough every single cog on 11-34 cassettes.

·
Registered
287 Posts
farking sweet

I ran a shimano ultegra road deraileur on an 11-34 setup for about 18 months and it was super super sick. I would bash the hell out of it all the time and it was tough as nails. very very rarely needed to be adjusted. It shifted very tightly and you could shift under pressure and it wouldnt complain. I ran this setup with a SRAM x9 rocket trigger shifter and it was fantastic.
Eventually it had taken ALOT of beatings and needed to be replaced so I decided to go all SRAM X9 rear D and shifter. Since then I have caught it on things about 3 times and have had to have my hanger straigtened twice in the last week. It also doesnt shift anywhere near as tightly as the Ultegra did and cant handle shifting under pressure at all. I wish I had just bought a new Utlegra and stuck with the Ultegra/X9 shifter combo, in my opinion its the best rear shifting solution there is out there.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
just a great thing if you want to run a short cage derailler ...therefore giving you more room and less chance hitting your derailer

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
My derailleur may be bent.

Something down there is bent all to hell...

I have a hardtail and a chainguide going on. 11X32 LX cassette...

I guess a 105 is my next derailleur.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
MDJ said:
Shimano 105 is a cheap alternative for a DJ or 4x bike. It also depends on the cogset that you run because the ultra-short cages on road derailleurs have limits. You can't run a 11-34.
They say you can only run up to a 28t cassette, but some people have had luck running it with a 34. The cage is real short and it's cheap. Plus it's easier to find than a short cage XT or something. Short cage derailleurs result in crisper shifts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.