Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
Datalogger said:
ancient, what type of terrain/weather do you ride in? Wet/muddy at all?
good call.

i'm taking my bike in tomorrow to get the BB re-packed, after being caught in a storm my XTR enduro ceramic BB bearings went from floaty magic to crunchy after 12 months of no probs whatsoever, normally riding is in dry arrid terrain.

ceramic BB's are not the best use of beer money if your bikes going to get wet/muddy often.

·
Knolliac
417 Posts
ancient, what type of terrain/weather do you ride in? Wet/muddy at all?

norcal. 8 months or so a year things are relatively dry. the summer months are bone dry and dusty/sandy trails in most places. the other 4 months or so are very rainy/wet, muddy and otherwise sloppy. still, riding in these conditions i have had no problem with ceramic enduro bearings. plus, they get a pounding from long epic high mountain rides to dh/fr trails on the regular. i have never hosed them down/spayed them off directly.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Thanks for the info ancient.

Jalove-The King BB allows grease to be injected with their tool. Not sure if the tool has been released yet, I haven't come across any for sale. The few retailers I checked listed it as "Out of Stock."

·
Registered
149 Posts
The tool should be available as I just talked to them at the NAHBS . The King is also not Ceramic, it is a stainless bearings. Enduro is probably the best way to go or buy the FSA K-Force Light with the MegaExo Ceramic BB. Note that the FSA BB doesn't really work well with Shimano spindles, as there is a tolerance difference on spindle bearing journal.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
The info I just received was that the tool actually is available but is backordered temporarily, at least by my vendor.

I can wait, I doubt my BB will need rebuilt any time soon.

·
Lover, not a fighter...
286 Posts
Reignman said:
The tool should be available as I just talked to them at the NAHBS . The King is also not Ceramic, it is a stainless bearings. Enduro is probably the best way to go or buy the FSA K-Force Light with the MegaExo Ceramic BB. Note that the FSA BB doesn't really work well with Shimano spindles, as there is a tolerance difference on spindle bearing journal.
I thought I was pretty clear in making a contrast between the King BB and the ceramic BBs that were mentioned. If you're looking for a good, long lasting BB and not necessarily the lightest or the one that can do the most revolutions before stopping in a free spin, the King might be a better alternative--especially since it's actually cheaper than some of the ceramic BBs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.