Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see so many 30 something tooth rings being used on single speeds. My bike is in its finishing stages and the guy at the shop thinks I should try a 42 or 44t ring. I spent my spring break in florida and rode a friends bike when I was there. I wanted to try singlespeeding so I didnt shift and had it set at 42x18 the whole time. I made it up mostly everything and had to walk a few climbs. Maybe Ill go with a 42x20, I'm not sure yet. Why do so many SSers use 32 or 34 or 36t rings? Who uses 40t+ and what size cogs do you run?

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
I see so many 30 something tooth rings being used on single speeds. My bike is in its finishing stages and the guy at the shop thinks I should try a 42 or 44t ring. I spent my spring break in florida and rode a friends bike when I was there. I wanted to try singlespeeding so I didnt shift and had it set at 42x18 the whole time. I made it up mostly everything and had to walk a few climbs. Maybe Ill go with a 42x20, I'm not sure yet. Why do so many SSers use 32 or 34 or 36t rings? Who uses 40t+ and what size cogs do you run?
Depends where you ride. Check out some of the ride photos posted, and see what people ride up. I've never been there, but Florida is REALLY flat isn't it?

I live and ride in the hills (talking about 30min climbs), and need a low gear or else my knee explodes (that is, if my heart doesn't first). Also for low-speed, technical, gnarly riding a high gear is almost impossible. 32/18 sucks for the 5 or 10 minutes I have to the trailheads, but once on the dirt it's golden.

Last point on ratio - I used to think a taller gear = faster riding/climbing, but unless it's almost dead flat I have found the opposite to be true. I can climb MUCH faster and for longer with 32/18 than with a 2:1 ratio. Plus throw in a few rocks etc, and it's no contest.

But I do like bigger rings/cogs, as has been discussed here a lot, they really do feel smoother and last longer. 38/20 felt great to me, and 38 was the biggest chainring my frame could fit in the middle position.

Hope my pre-coffee rambling help,

Chris

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Yup, I can just fit a 41t without needing to space the driveside arm out for the ring to clear the chainstay. Then the chainline is off. Hard to respace a FW.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheSingleGuy said:
Depends where you ride. Check out some of the ride photos posted, and see what people ride up. I've never been there, but Florida is REALLY flat isn't it?

I live and ride in the hills (talking about 30min climbs), and need a low gear or else my knee explodes (that is, if my heart doesn't first). Also for low-speed, technical, gnarly riding a high gear is almost impossible. 32/18 sucks for the 5 or 10 minutes I have to the trailheads, but once on the dirt it's golden.

Last point on ratio - I used to think a taller gear = faster riding/climbing, but unless it's almost dead flat I have found the opposite to be true. I can climb MUCH faster and for longer with 32/18 than with a 2:1 ratio. Plus throw in a few rocks etc, and it's no contest.

But I do like bigger rings/cogs, as has been discussed here a lot, they really do feel smoother and last longer. 38/20 felt great to me, and 38 was the biggest chainring my frame could fit in the middle position.

Hope my pre-coffee rambling help,

Chris
Ive been in arizona almost a year, and the riding I have done here is great (all 3 times Ive been riding offroad in 10 months). However, I must say that even though florida is "flat," the artificial hills and climbs etc still make for some tough rides. I wont get as much overall vertical gain on a long ride in miami, but its still hard. Eh, I can mess around with my gearing this summer. Riding every friggin day! I guess I just want to use a 42 because a 42t boone looks a lot better than a 32t :D . I'll figure it out. I just wanted to know if anyone else ran a large chainring in the front.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Agree that it does depend on the frame...

...shape of our chainstays, length of spindles on your bottom bracket, and the shape of your cranks. I ride a sycip on the road and can barely fit a 44 chainring without rubbing the chainring on the chainstay. i switched to a 42 to get a few mm more of clearance and scooted the bottom bracket to the drive side for a little more. you might borrow several chainrings and mount them to see what works. 42x16 is a good gear for me on the road with slicks, riding into the wind and some moderate hills. but like many others, i use a 34 chainring in the dirt.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I'm running a 44:22 on a converted gearie mtb hub with no problems, perfect chain line. I have a toothfairy rock ring for logs & rock, which I "use" to get over things, as opposed to having it just for protection. Keep in mind my main reason for running a 44t up front was to "use" those rings, I have several that just sit around in a box...

·
Fahrrad fahren
305 Posts
40/23

I use a 40t rocket ring up front and a 23t White FW in back.on one side and a 15t fixed cog on the flop side. I keep two chain links to make up the diference when I flip the wheel.
Works pretty good. I had to pinch the stay a bit to make the bigger ring fit, no problems in a year.

H

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.