Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just am not a fan of the Avid Elixir CRs that came on my '11 Stumpy Carbon. I know I could have gotten the '12 with the Formula brakes but I like the feel of the XTRs and assumed the I would be putting them on my ride either way.

Anyone have pics, thoughts or suggestions for upgrading their Stumpy or other ride to the XTRs?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The XTR brakes are flat out awesome. They are so powerful and yet have great modulation. They are the best brakes I have ever used. I'm 220lb and ride aggressively. On my mojo hd I could easily get away with 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors, with other brakes that would be unheard of.
I thought the ice tech rotors were some marketing B.S. but they make a noticeable difference in performance.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
The 2011 Shimano M988 XTR Trail brakes are quite good. You shouldn't have any problems fitting them to your Stumpjumper FSR as there is plenty of clearance around the brain for the hose routing. You can use the Shimano brakes along with SRAM trigger shifters.:)

For the rotors I'd suggest getting the Shimano RT-86 6 bolt Ice Tech brake rotors. They seem to work best with the Shimano brake pad compound. I'm using a 180mm Shimano Ice Tech rotor on the front and a 160mm Powertap rotor on the rear .

I originally had a 183mm Hope floating rotor on the front but wasn't very happy with the brake feel or how fast the pads were wearing. The fork, caliper and adapter were covered in brake dust after every ride and the front brake didn't feel as strong as the rear brake. The overall feel is much better with the Shimano brake rotor.:)

Pictured below: 2011 Shimano M988 XTR Trail brake caliper hose routes around the brain easily. 2010 Epic Marathon frame.

Shimano brake levers work fine with SRAM trigger shifters.

Shimano RT-86 Ice tech brake rotor

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am getting ready to ditch my XX WC brakes on my 2011 SW HT 29er. How do you think the XTR brakes will work with Avid clean sweep rotors? Can the XTR levers be modified to accept the XX shift pods? What rotors are the 2012 bikes with Roval wheels using? Did Roval make a centerlock hub or did Shimano make a six bolt XTR rotor?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am getting ready to ditch my XX WC brakes on my 2011 SW HT 29er. How do you think the XTR brakes will work with Avid clean sweep rotors? Can the XTR levers be modified to accept the XX shift pods? What rotors are the 2012 bikes with Roval wheels using? Did Roval make a centerlock hub or did Shimano make a six bolt XTR rotor?
I have a friend that has used them with the Avid Clean Sweep rotors and he has not had any problems. The XTR levers won't work with Avid's matchmaker clamps unfortunately. That is part of the reason I swapped everything out to Shimano XTR. The 2012 SRAM bikes with Rovals are using Avids new HSX rotor which is better than the clean sweep rotor in my opinion. The XTR 2012 Epic is using the XT Ice Tech rotors in the 6 bolt option. Shimano does not make a XTR six bolt rotor but the XT rotors are great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I swapped out the XX brakes on my Epic 29er with XTR trail. I am using the XX rotors. They howl like crazy once they get hot on extended downhill braking. I am going to change to ice tech rotors and switch the pads from metallic to resin and see if that quites them down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a friend that has used them with the Avid Clean Sweep rotors and he has not had any problems. The XTR levers won't work with Avid's matchmaker clamps unfortunately. That is part of the reason I swapped everything out to Shimano XTR. The 2012 SRAM bikes with Rovals are using Avids new HSX rotor which is better than the clean sweep rotor in my opinion. The XTR 2012 Epic is using the XT Ice Tech rotors in the 6 bolt option. Shimano does not make a XTR six bolt rotor but the XT rotors are great.
Did you go 100% XTR? I was thinking brakes, shifters, and derailures.

Leave chain and cassette for now. My bike only has 300 miles on it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I mounted up 2012 XTR brakes on my 08 pro carbon and initially had a very very very loud noise when they got hot. Switching to the XT ice tech rotor on the back made all the difference but I kept the marta 170 mm rotor on the front rather than buying a shimano 180 or 160 mm mount.

The new set up changed the way I ride. These are my first true 1 finger brakes. I have more control now because I freed up one finger to hold on to the grips. Worth every penny!

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
What is the purpose of those "horn" looking things on those bars? Sorry for the noob question...just starting out. Even though I dont know what it actually is, thats a sexy photo!
My handlebars are Bontrager trekking bars. They're a normal riser bar with a set of aero extensions built in to give an additional hand position. The aero extensions give you improved aerodynamics and straight line speed on easy tracks and the road whilst you still have a standard uncompromised riser bar position for offroad capability.

Bontrager: Satellite Elite Carbon Trekking (Model #04996)

The extensions are a bit too high and close to be as good as full tri bars but you can still get quite a good position (forearms parallel to the ground and elbows in tight) and the bike is fast. Today coming up the A38 on the flat I did 10 minutes at an average speed of 24.1mph. The last hour on the road was an average speed of 19.9 mph @198 watts. That's not bad for a full suspension mountain bike.:)

The downsides are that it's a real squeeze fitting the grips, shifters and brake levers onto the bars and they add 100g approx of weight to the bike (230g compared to my previous Ritchey Superlogic 10D flat bars that were 130g.)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.