Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lived with my squeaky CODA brakes long enough. I've got an older Jekyll and am looking for help with upgrade options. Has anyone had any luck with upgrading to another 4 bolt disc system? My local bike shop thinks the Lefty will accept another caliper but the rear mounts may need a different "hook up."

I gather I can upgrade my wheels and hubs to accomodate a 6 bolt disc and open up the possibilities. I assume I may still have an issue with the universal mounts on the Jekyll (which it seems are being phased out in favor of a post mounting setup).

And the last resort is to sell the Jekyll on eBay and lay out the cash for a Rush. Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I upgraded to Dual Control XT with the 6 inch front and the original rear. Finding a four bolt 6 inch disk was a real pain but i got one in the end.

Worked great and way better than my original Julie brakes.

If you can afford to get away from four bolts, eg change your hubs your choice of disk rotors is wider. However I am pretty sure all disks are the same width...

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
what is your budget?

You may be able to find some 4 bolt rotors, but if you hae the $, just go all out. Get some 6 bolt hubs/wheels, and run any brake you want.

the IS rear mounts will take any 6" rotor.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,302 Posts
Hayes made 4 bolt rotors in 165mm (6"). That should aid in your search parameters. There's a ton of Maguras out there, but most are differential front and rear, so be careful that way. Hope will make new ones for you, so if you have a nice Hugi built rear hub, it may be worth the bucks to go that route. Standard "Expert" rear hub? Consider that option, knowing you cannot get parts for that hub anymore. As for rear compatibility, your LBS is half right. There was a difference in spacing on the older Cannondales, basicvally, you'll need to bump any new caliper out from the frame about 3mm, then adjust normally from there. Magura made a nifty 6 bolt spacer that took up that space, in between the hub and rotor. Find one of those, and do a little happy dance, they're hard to find! Have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts