Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of doing this in the coming weeks. It will require a shuttle of some sorts from Nevada City to Truckee. I'm thinking DLRT, HITG, Fordyce/ Spaulding, Pioneer, Scotts Flat and some flumes to Grass Valley/ Nevada City. Open to other suggestions as well. I could do it next weekend or the next. My initial thought was doing it as an overnighter loop from Forersthill, but thought I'd see if there was any interest in doing it as a day ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would be interested in this also.After Scott's I can't seem to get past riding the road back to 5 mile house, eyeballing that pig on a spit, and going down miner trail to Old Republic.
Depending on the date I could probably get a shuttle driver with at least room for 4 with bikes back to Truckee.

Between Truckee and HITG I have no knowledge, and between HITG and the top of Bear Valley I also am not familar, I know the rest.
Would it be worth trying to stash some supplies between NC and Truckee?, or would you prefer the FULL camelback. I ride with one either way and would do two bladders if no stash.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been thinking about this ride since I saw a Strava track of it a year or so ago - probably from Seoulriding's group.

In a couple days the bike saddle will look a little less evil after the Mendo 100 last weekend. If there's a group headed up there that can handle one more, let me know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Let me know what date you're thinking of for this, I might be game. How would you connect the end of HITG to Fordyce? Fire road?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Just before Lola Montez Lake there is a spur road that goes to Magonigal flat. Or you could hike to upper Lola Montez and get to the same road. From Magonigal I've gone (a few years ago when long rides were still on the table for me) up over Red Mountain down a quad trail to Eagle Lakes. That was laborious, but fun. Fordyce Road past the Dam is not really rideable, and is a sucky hike-a-bike

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm down a vehicle right now so this weekend is out ( brand new motor with 200 miles is knocking.....) I'm not sure I'll be up and running by the weekend after either, plus I need to get the California Sierra Trail Race started on Friday, I'm not doing it this year.

So perhaps the weekend of 26th?

Rich, thanks for the invite. I think you're at the sweet spot with 5, anything more than that and the possibility of it turning into a cluster**** grows exponentially. I might join you if someone drops out, keep me posted.

Here's the route I'm proposing
Hwy 89
Up Alder Creek into Tahoe Donner
Donner Lake Rim Trail
HITG, the whole thing John, you slacker;)
Pavement to Cisco Grove for ice cream!
Up Rattlesnake Road to the top of Red Mountain.
Down the jeep trail to the parking lot at Fordyce OHV
Fordyce out to Eagle Lakes
Spaulding Lake Trail
Upper Pioneer
Pioneer Trail
Scotts Lake
Cross the dam
Road and flume back to Grass Valley/Nevada City unless someone wants to take it from there.

I'll have at least one filter, no need to be dropping supplies, run what you brung. There will be food at Cisco Grove and Five Mile House, ummm meatloaf sandwich!

Whew, makes my legs hurt just thinking about it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm down a vehicle right now so this weekend is out ( brand new motor with 200 miles is knocking.....) I'm not sure I'll be up and running by the weekend after either, plus I need to get the California Sierra Trail Race started on Friday, I'm not doing it this year.

So perhaps the weekend of 26th?

Rich, thanks for the invite. I think you're at the sweet spot with 5, anything more than that and the possibility of it turning into a cluster**** grows exponentially. I might join you if someone drops out, keep me posted.

Here's the route I'm proposing
Hwy 89
Up Alder Creek into Tahoe Donner
Donner Lake Rim Trail
HITG, the whole thing John, you slacker;)
Pavement to Cisco Grove for ice cream!
Up Rattlesnake Road to the top of Red Mountain.
Down the jeep trail to the parking lot at Fordyce OHV
Fordyce out to Eagle Lakes
Spaulding Lake Trail
Upper Pioneer
Pioneer Trail
Scotts Lake
Cross the dam
Road and flume back to Grass Valley/Nevada City unless someone wants to take it from there.

I'll have at least one filter, no need to be dropping supplies, run what you brung. There will be food at Cisco Grove and Five Mile House, ummm meatloaf sandwich!

Whew, makes my legs hurt just thinking about it.
im in for the 26th weekend.
ill be coming off the bend high cascades 100 tho
anybody carpool frm auburn?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I will try very hard to do this. I do need to step it up in preparation, I had a bad crash and am behind in my fitness.

What is the miles?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm out of town the 26th. Anyone want to go this weekend? I'd rather do a more direct route:
Donner Lake Rim Trail (***** Canyon)
Northern part of HITG trail
West towards Fordyce Rd
Climb Signal Peak
Down jeep road (in the West bowl)
Dirt roads to Spaulding Lake Trail
Pioneer Trail
Miners Trail to Nevada City

Since there's probably 15-20 miles in there I don't know, between the planned ride and the getting lost, that should be plenty of mileage for my taste.

If anyone's interested, let me know. Otherwise it'll be August or September for me.

·
Registered
776 Posts
HITG, the whole thing John, you slacker

Nice :) !!
I'm not supposed to be out in the sun all day any mo', but am happy to assist in shuttling. Also, you can park at my house which is a short way from the bottom of the TD portion of the Emigrant.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been thinking of doing a Donner Party ride in October for years that would be similar to this. I've been thinking of going form Donner Lake or the Donner Camp to the edge of the Sac Valley..I'd like to follow their route as much as possible while integrating in trails. I'm just not sure if it's a one day or two day ride.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've been thinking of doing a Donner Party ride in October for years that would be similar to this. I've been thinking of going form Donner Lake or the Donner Camp to the edge of the Sac Valley..I'd like to follow their route as much as possible while integrating in trails. I'm just not sure if it's a one day or two day ride.
If anybody wants to do that ride, we need to start with more than 5 people, just in case something happens, you know.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would be interested in doing this ride. I'll have to check the calendar, but sounds awesome!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
If anybody wants to do that ride, we need to start with more than 5 people, just in case something happens, you know.
Here are some menu ideals

Leg of Larry
Patty Melt
Bowl of Stu
Bloody Harry
Chicken Tika Marissa
Pamburger with French Guys
Shirley's Temple
Angelica Hair with Al Fredo
Peanut Butter and Kelly

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So the last time I did this ride my GPS failed to record it. I seem to remember it being around 80-85 miles with about 11,000' of climbing. I think it took a couple of us about 9 hours total the last time we did it. We were all in pretty good shape as well.

We will have to keep a pretty good pace to make it. Obviously, I'm not married to the exact route above. If we need to shave time or miles that can be done pretty easily. I would think we should keep the number of riders to under 8 if possible. That makes it a two car/truck shuttle to Truckee.

We will need to:
Meet in Nevada City
Drive to Truckee
Get back to Nevada City
Someone will need to take the two shuttle drivers back to their cars in Truckee. I will volunteer to either drive one vehicle up in the morning or return the shuttle drivers that evening.

I would like this to be a no drop, fast social ride if possible. If you are looking to plow on as fast as possible regardless of others abilities, then perhaps this isn't the ride for you.

I also don't want to finish in the dark.....

I am 8 weeks post knee surgery, doing this at the speed of my last trip will be a big ask for me.

So those are the logistics as I see them. I would think we should be riding by 7:30 am:eekster:

PM your email address if you want to join up, the first 7 are in.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts