Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
What, who, me?
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be up in Show Low and looking to ride Los Burros, never rode it so any beta would be cool. I have all day so anytime is good with me, just drop me a pm:thumbsup:

mike

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
I'll be up there all weekend. Probably going up thursday night and going to do a little trail work on Friday morning and then some more on saturday morning. Will be getting in some runs in on saturday afternoon. I've only shuttled it as I only ride the DH bike. PM me if you wanna meet up for a shuttle or two.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Samba

Tucson's SAMBA mountain bike club is camping at and riding Los Burros from 7/4-6.
I plan on arriving about noon on 7/4 and Tom should be there on the 3rd.
Not sure what other trails we'll hit but the South Fork Trail shuttle is a possibility. It runs from the campground at Mexican Hay Lake to South Fork Campground on the Little Colorado. Pretty forest and creekside descent.
It's a small campground with only 10 sites, but join us! Abe
SAMBAbike.org

·
What, who, me?
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'll be there from Fri. am to Sun. so...

i'd be up for doing some trail maintanance :thumbsup: always willing to give back. i ride singlespeed so am willing to have as much fun as i can. i would consider myself a B rider. i've never ridden Los Burros so am looking forward to actually hitting it. i have ridden Tour of the White Mtns. the last few years and love it up there. let me know when and where to meet on Sat. and i'll be there.

mike

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Cool that you're going to do some trail work. Bring your saws!

As of a week and a half ago there were many trees down on Los Burros -- always on the north facing slopes and mostly by Wishbone Mtn.

I'd stay away from the north side of Lake Mtn -- it was a disaster area and I highly doubt anyone has taken chainsaw to it yet.

Have fun.

·
Professional Amateur
446 Posts
Man, I would have liked to ride with some others. I'll be up there next week starting on the 9th. I will be vacationing with the inlaws but I'm bringing the bike for escapes. I have heard Los Burros is a cool trail, hopefully with all your hard work this weekend it will be even better for me (selfish)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll probably be up there on the 5th and 6th. Going with some non-biker types, but will probably be taking some gear to clear trails if needed while on our hike. (I can use non-biker labor to benefit me for my next ride there!)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
pool_monkey said:
i'd be up for doing some trail maintanance :thumbsup: always willing to give back. i ride singlespeed so am willing to have as much fun as i can. i would consider myself a B rider. i've never ridden Los Burros so am looking forward to actually hitting it. i have ridden Tour of the White Mtns. the last few years and love it up there. let me know when and where to meet on Sat. and i'll be there.

mike
My plan is to hit the Pizza Factory in Show Low, 100 E White Mtn Road, 260 just east of the main intersection in Show Low at noon. There's a bike shop there.
Then head to Los Burros.
The trail's about 14 miles long and somewhat technical. Been several years but it rises at the back of the loop with a few climbs. Good single speed trail, forest cruise.

·
3,844 Posts
Braaaaap! I got the chainsaw and the hedge clippers if anyone wants to help out. I'm planning on spending friday morning clearing some trail. probably get some coffee in pinetop and then head up. Saturday should be a fun day with all the riders. Abegold, I'd be totally down to shuttle South Fork with you guys, I was gonna do it last time, but did burros instead. I have a truck with 6 bike capacity. Post up if you're in!!!

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
latedropbob said:
Braaaaap! I got the chainsaw and the hedge clippers if anyone wants to help out. I'm planning on spending friday morning clearing some trail. probably get some coffee in pinetop and then head up. Saturday should be a fun day with all the riders. Abegold, I'd be totally down to shuttle South Fork with you guys, I was gonna do it last time, but did burros instead. I have a truck with 6 bike capacity. Post up if you're in!!!
We should have at least 3 hands on deck by Friday morning. Stop by the Campground when you're ready to rip some wood and we'll give you a hand dragging it off the trail. We'll be camped right by the trailhead. We're the ones with mountain bikes. :D

·
3,844 Posts
wow, I love the ambition to get los burros into a world class ripper. I'll be by camp around 8 or so, maybe earlier just to get an early start. what's for breakfast??? eggs and bacon, or the typical mtb bfast...beer and a cliff bar:) bring ur gloves. see u soon!

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Not to burst your bubble Bob but a chainsaw will most likely get you in trouble if any local FS rangers are in the area. AFAIK you need to permit to cut any trees by means of a chainsaw.

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
Hmm. Bob, maybe you should check in at the Ranger Station in Lakeside to see if it's alright with the Forest Service to buzz through that deadfall. If not, maybe they will lend us a crosscut saw and we can get a good upper body workout.

·
3,844 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys. I was wondering that myself. I will check with ranger station. I have bow saws and clippers ready to go. It should be a good time. From what I remember a couple weeks ago there was not that many huge trees down on the trail. Just some 10-14 inchers. We'll do our best:)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
latedropbob said:
Sweeet, look for us at Los Burros. If that doesn't work I can PM my cell # but don't know how well it'll work in the trees.
Bringing a bow saw.

·
3,844 Posts
Good work yesterday boys! We had some of the SAMBA crew out to help me yesterday morning to clear the los burros trail. Tom, Jim, and Dave thanks for the help turning burros into a "worldclass" roller coaster ride. We started from the top and moved counter clockwise. Tom and Jim helped me shuttle back up to the top. I ripped that trail all the way down with no pesky trees or branches to slow me down. That trail is buffed out and ready to butter the muffin. I'll post some pics up a little later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.