Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must have shuttle vehicle, but I plan to be up there riding this weekend, it would be nice if someone here was interested in doing some DH shuttle runs...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Jm. said:
Must have shuttle vehicle, but I plan to be up there riding this weekend, it would be nice if someone here was interested in doing some DH shuttle runs...
James,
I'm interested. I would love to get out of the heat and humidity. In all candor, as has already been proven, I don't think I can hang with you if you are doing the skinnies, 20 foot high ladders, and hucking 100 feet onto Elden Road.

You know I can't hang if we are just banging down Little Bear.

My Toyota Truck can carry three bikes in a pinch, but only two riders comfortably. What did you have in mind?

John W.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
papajohn said:
James,
I'm interested. I would love to get out of the heat and humidity. In all candor, as has already been proven, I don't think I can hang with you if you are doing the skinnies, 20 foot high ladders, and hucking 100 feet onto Elden Road.

You know I can't hang if we are just banging down Little Bear.

My Toyota Truck can carry three bikes in a pinch, but only two riders comfortably. What did you have in mind?

John W.
Well, i'll know tomorrow if I can actually ride on saturday, i may have jumped the gun on this one a little bit, and i have to wait untill tomorrow to see if the flying schedule went through for the weekend (which it may or may not since we are submitting it late)...if I am not flying on Sat, I will be riding in flag, no doubt, but I want to bring my DH bike to ride some of the DH trails, but-we do not have to ride every crazy obstacle, I do not know if you would be interested in riding the DH trails, I wouldn't take you down the upper part of wasabi,and evidently I haven't been on the lower part of wasabi (ladders and bridges), but I think you could work your way down most of blue dot sans drops. There's also the issue of trail-scouting and figuring out where all of this stuff is, as long as we know we find some of these trailheads it will serve the purpose IMO.

Flagstaff is getting me back into DHing, which is something that I have not been doing enough of lately. I might be able to convince Paul (from norcal but now lives here) to go with us, but in that case I'd have to taylor the riding even more towards "trail riding" than "obstacle riding" :)

Sorry I kind of jumped the gun, i'll try to post here as soon as I know if I will be free.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
I might like to tag along with you guys to pick up some skills

I am not, "how you say, blessed with the mad skills" but I don't wine and if I can't ride it, I'll walk it. I might like to tag along with you guys and pick up some pointers and practice, one if you are riding, and two if that's the type of ride you end up doing.

I have an SUV that can hold 3 bikes with regular quick release, if Jm's bringing the shiver I don't know, maybe lay the bike down in the back and pack em in , or be the car at the bottom, who knows.

If you talor your ride to more like a Trail Ride kinda thing I all in . . . if it's ok

Also, whats the weather going to be like (monsoon storms may kill the afternoons)

There may be some other downhill/freeride dudes here in Phoenix that may be up for this

Jm, keep us posted

DJ

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, so far it looks like im free to ride in Sat. I think I'll be up there starting at the Y on my big green machine...

~10am?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Jm. said:
Ok, so far it looks like im free to ride in Sat. I think I'll be up there starting at the Y on my big green machine...

~10am?
Sorry it took so long to answer. The cable/internet has been down.

I'm still interested. If you are bringing your big bike I would ride my Intense Uzzi, and ride what I am able. Any possibility of meeting by 9:00 or 9:30? The weather report is for the chance of showers increasing in the afternoon, so thought we might get a little earlier start.

DJBiker expressed interest above, but it doesn't sound like you have the same kind of trails in mind.

If you like, PM or email me.

John

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Ok, how about this . . .

We all meet up at the trailhead at the bottom of Eldon Lookout Road at say 9:30 am.

We load our bikes in the back of your truck (4 bikes, yours, Jm's, mine and my wifes), you drive to the top of Eldon Lookout Rd. with Jm and yourself in the front and my wife and I in the back, with all the bikes.

When we get to the top, you and Jm go ride on Wasabi, or Blue Dot or whatever and my wife and I ride Sunset to Shults creek and down Shults creek to the cars, we all meet up mid-day or early afternoon and we use our car to take you back to the top to get your truck back, then maybe hook up for a pizza after or something.

How would that be?

·
Registered
691 Posts
DJBiker said:
We all meet up at the trailhead at the bottom of Eldon Lookout Road at say 9:30 am.

We load our bikes in the back of your truck (4 bikes, yours, Jm's, mine and my wifes), you drive to the top of Eldon Lookout Rd. with Jm and yourself in the front and my wife and I in the back, with all the bikes.

When we get to the top, you and Jm go ride on Wasabi, or Blue Dot or whatever and my wife and I ride Sunset to Shults creek and down Shults creek to the cars, we all meet up mid-day or early afternoon and we use our car to take you back to the top to get your truck back, then maybe hook up for a pizza after or something.

How would that be?
First, I have a small truck that won't do logistically what you have in mind. But I suppose if we have three vehicles we could go up in two, leave the third at the bottom, then go back up for both vehicles. That shouldn't really be the limiting issue.

Second thing, though I will no doubt be hungry and would like to socialize, for me it is a long haul from Tucson, so I will really want to do two runs down the mountain weather permitting.

I am still waiting to hear from James, but I would be game if we can work out to meet at the bottom after the first run, at a time that won't keep either group waiting to long on the other. I like the 9:30 meet time.

John

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
It would be nice if I could get pages to load . . .

at anything other than a snail's pace.

Dam this thing is slow today.

Email or cell, easier to communicate that way.

Cheers

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
papajohn said:
Sorry it took so long to answer. The cable/internet has been down.

I'm still interested. If you are bringing your big bike I would ride my Intense Uzzi, and ride what I am able. Any possibility of meeting by 9:00 or 9:30? The weather report is for the chance of showers increasing in the afternoon, so thought we might get a little earlier start.

DJBiker expressed interest above, but it doesn't sound like you have the same kind of trails in mind.

If you like, PM or email me.

John
930am is fine, i only said 10 with your travel time in mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts