Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just giving this thread a bump. I second the OPs opinion that this looks like a really promising front tire. If anyone has used it I'd be curious about whether it is a true 2.2" and also how its rolling resistance is.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I mounted them on a Mavic 717 front rim and DT Swiss 4.1 rear rim. At 26lbs of pressure (yes, i'm a flyweight), the tread width at the widest point using calipers: just over 54mm. Casing width: just over 52mm. Actual weight on a digital scale: 560 and 601 grams respectively.

Definitely a low profile tread design. It sort of reminds me of a beefed up Exiwolf. These tires roll VERY fast, and you'll notice this right away. Much faster than the 2.3 front 2.1 Weirwolf tires I had been running for weekend trail rides and very similar to the Maxxis Crossmark 70a tires I run when doing dual sport after work rides.

In my So Cal trail conditions, braking traction on loose technical descents is good to very good, probably due to the big volume. They do not rail corners like my Weirwolf tires, though. Haven't done much technical climbing on them yet so can't comment on that aspect.

My feeling is that these tires are a good balance between speed and grip with a little more bias towards speed.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nice - thanks for the feedback. So how would you compare the 'grippiness' of the Wolverine to the Crossmark then for both climbing and for cornering? I'm getting ready to do a race in mid-April that will be on a fairly non-technical course, so I don't think that I need a real aggressive tread pattern for it. I already have a Dred Tread tire, and I am thinking about running that in the rear with the Wolverine up front. Other tires that I might consider paired up with the Dred Tread are (a) another Dred Tread - good sized 2.1 and it has what appears to be decent side knobs), (b) a Crossmark, (c) a Python - move the Dred Tread up front for sure, (d) Maxxis monorail or (e) Maxxis Ignitor. One big factor for me is that I'm hoping to run these as a tubeless setup on Stans rims.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Haggis said:
Have you tried the Dred up front? I'm thinking of getting a pair for the hardtail race bike. Has the back one worn well?
I wish I could answer that question, but I'll be using the Dred Tread for the first time today. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this tire though - it's got a nice volume for a 2.1" tire, and it seems like it should have pretty good traction, particularly in the middle of the tire. The side knobs are spaced very closely together, which is somewhat interesting - I can't tell whether it is going to be a good-cornering tire or not. Overall, I'd say it is very reminiscent of the Crossmark, althrough the Dred Tread's knobs look a tad more aggressive to me. Right now I have it pegged as a rear tire, although I might try moving it up front with a Python in the back (since I have one sitting in my basement) just to see how it works.

·
Registered
177 Posts
TurnerConvert said:
Nice - thanks for the feedback. So how would you compare the 'grippiness' of the Wolverine to the Crossmark then for both climbing and for cornering? I'm getting ready to do a race in mid-April that will be on a fairly non-technical course, so I don't think that I need a real aggressive tread pattern for it.

Not sure I can comment on the Crossmark's trail worthiness. As I said, I use the Crossmark for street/trail after work duty, and the dirt sections aren't technical at all, just some dirt paths thrown in here and there (with the tire pressure bumped up to 50 lbs). I just like how the harder 70a Maxxis compound lasts and rolls on the street.

The Wolverines seem like they would be an awesome race tire: fast, light and able to be run at low pressure. As I said, though, the cornering isn't as good as the Weirwolfs. The trail I rode the Wolverines on the last time, I know really well and have ridden many times. A couple of times on some looser stuff the front broke away without much warning (but they did regain traction). This never happened before with the Weirwolfs. I guess some compromises in grip must be made to have such a fast rolling tire.

·
Registered
721 Posts
hkmeup said:
TurnerConvert,
Looking forward to your review of the Dred Tred, not only as a race tire but also as an everyday trail tire. Do you have the actual weight of the 2.1?
I'll have to wait a little bit to review the Dred Tred - two many changed factors to really assess just the rear tire. However, I did weight the tire and on my scale it came out to 615 grams. It appears to be a decent volume tire too - good width for a 2.1 and pretty tall (sorry - I don't have calipers to measure). I was pleased that I didn't have pinch flat issues, although I would have to say that I was not riding particularly aggressively last night. I'll post up more when I've got more time on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I raced them last weekend. Course had a little bit of everything. Slop, sand, and dry hard-pack sections. They felt faster than continental explorers and have much better volume. Nice round profile, very predictable. I never had the sensation of them breaking free and losing control. I am very impressed so far.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Bumpity bump... Anyone else??

I'm looking for a replacement of my Nobby Nic and this one has drew my attention. Looks like tough competition to the Nic as a rear.

How sturdy it looks?? I figure it's too soon to say but any idea about how solid are the sidewalls?

·
Registered
20 Posts
@ Warp - The sidewalls are the usual sturdiness of the other wtb tires. I don't have a lot of time on them but just remounted them on another rig but sidewall seams better than pythons, small blocks, feel the same as the nanoraptors.

·
Registered
310 Posts
hi guys,

i am interested on this tire...it will be my front tire actually...i am a bit concerned about grip, rolling resistance, etc....just finished a race and had a mutano raptor as my front tire, really nice, but tends to wash off badly...so any input i can get from you guys will be extremely appreciated...thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I love it as a rear on my trail bike and ran them front and rear on my XC, very fast roll and grips great. I noticed it felt faster that the mutano from the start. Simular feel to the small block8 but lighter. I do feel like they need more presure than others, I usally run 35 and Im now at 40 to get the tire too not roll on the rim. Great tire.

Local conditions are sandy ( soft like the beach) or hard with a dusting of loose on top, have not run them any wet stuff. The love the street and just fly.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
I hated this tire....but first, some stats: 145lb rider, XC/Trail use in Sonoran Desert (central and southern AZ). I ran them at 28lbs and they were 2.2"'s up front for me. They were crazy fast...loved that about them. However the tapered/sloped tread up front left me with reduced cornering ability on the loose over hard....which I get a lot of around the Hawes area I ride daily. If they had those same aggressive side treads squared off rather than tapered, this may have changed...but I'm sure they would not have been so fast. Still, it's a pretty round tire, so that may be more of a factor in the rolling resistance part as well as a pretty dense material. I found myself having my front tire slip out in front of me on almost every switchback. Loved them on the rocks and if I were to head to Sedona, would slap these on without hesitation. However for my every day ride (loose over hard, sandy washes), I gotta go with my Wierwolfs at 2.3 and 30 lbs up front. The rolling resistance on the Wierwolfs is noticeable, but the lack of cornering for me is the predominant factor in my decision to remove the tire. The Wierwolfs are pretty soft, with squared off side knobs...and have a flat profile to boot...all contributing to great cornering and handeling in loose, but a slower tire. It all depends on your local conditions I guess...these could be the best things since sliced bread....but will be the bringer of all things bad given the conditions I have mentioned.

·
Registered
310 Posts
hey thanks for that response...i fit into your same category maadj...i ride on the sonoran desert and the conditions are pretty much harsh...i almost had my mind set on the wolverine...as soon as i saw your comments, i said no for the wolverines...but then i went and checked the weight for the weirwolf, but apparently the 2.1 version is not as light as the website indicates...according to the Weight Weenie website, the weirwolf weighs in at around 700 grams instead of 500ish....therefore, i think we need to contact SHIGGY and see what he has to say about our situation....i need a tire that is fast, grippy and reliable and weighs in at around the 500ish area...it will be my front tire...i really wish to get something that has an arrow figure as its thread (the reason i was looking at the wolverines) and if not i can try something else instead and see how it works...btw i have a maxxis crossmark on the rear but i think that as a front tire it will not grip and corner as well here in the sonoran desert...so i am open to suggestions fellas....thanks for your responses....

·
parts leftover
997 Posts
doctorholguin said:
i need a tire that is fast, grippy and reliable and weighs in at around the 500ish area...it will be my front tire...i really wish to get something that has an arrow figure as its thread (the reason i was looking at the wolverines) and if not i can try something else instead and see how it works...
I am really liking the Continental Vertical Pro for the ability to lean it over in loose over hardpack conditions. I never feel like it is going to break loose on me. On the road, I can feel some rolling resistance, but on the trail it's dang fast. The tread does have a sort of wedge design that might satisfy your directional requirement. Even better, the 2.3 weighed 580g on my digital hanging scale. I may move over to Continentals entirely after a disappointing experience with Panaracer Rampages.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
doctorholguin said:
therefore, i think we need to contact SHIGGY and see what he has to say about our situation...
No problem...let me know what you find out on the weight by posting to this site or IM'ing me. At the time I chose the tire, I was not too concerned with weight, but now that I found the traction I was looking for, I'm looking to start making compromises to save some weight. They definitely drag me down heading up hill.

·
Registered
310 Posts
after doing some research, i am leaning towards the continental speed king protection 2.3 @ 580 grams XD as my front tire

·
Registered
13 Posts
WTB Wolverine Race weight

I just got two of these in one 1.95 and the other 2.2. The actual scale weights for these are 490 grams and 620 grams respectively. We'll see next weekend how they perform during both a 8.3 mile hill climb and a cross country race.

elpasotom

1 - 20 of 38 Posts