Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
a nice cake said:
thinking about going with the disc-only 700c version over the standard triple-butted P2 for a little more BB height. Anyone ride one offroad?
Only on my single-speed cross bike. If you do it on a 26" bike, please post on here so i know how it works, I'm interested to find out.
Thanks,
Joe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I could'nt get my Jones tyres into a 700c project 2, whereas they fit albeit tightly in a standard pair of P2's go figure.

I was pretty shocked and needless to say pretty unhappy although it all worked itself out.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
If you're trying to raise your BB, consider this : 1" extra in the fork is only worth about 0.4" at your BB. Suppose you add 1" of Axle-Crown length, you'll slacken out your angles by 1.36º every 0,4" you raise the BB. Is that ratio worth it to you? Different pedals may help reducing the number of hits on rocks.
Height you add to the rear tire, for 60% translates into raised BB height. If you're running skinnies, something to look at.
If you don't care about angles, just get a 29" front wheel, as it seems to fityour present fork after all. It add 31.5mm to the front axle, so a full half inch at the BB. A rigid 29" front actually rides great, if the angles work out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cloxxki said:
If you're trying to raise your BB, consider this : 1" extra in the fork is only worth about 0.4" at your BB. Suppose you add 1" of Axle-Crown length, you'll slacken out your angles by 1.36º every 0,4" you raise the BB. Is that ratio worth it to you? Different pedals may help reducing the number of hits on rocks.
Height you add to the rear tire, for 60% translates into raised BB height. If you're running skinnies, something to look at.
If you don't care about angles, just get a 29" front wheel, as it seems to fityour present fork after all. It add 31.5mm to the front axle, so a full half inch at the BB. A rigid 29" front actually rides great, if the angles work out.
Thanks for the advice. I'm currently running a fork that's 40mm shorter than the frame was designed for, putting my headangle at about 72.65º and my bottom bracket at about 12.15" using your numbers. If that's accurate, my BB really isn't that low at all, even though i grind my way over any number of obstacles with my 36T ring and 180mm cranks. I'm already running Time pedals, so there isn't much i can do to reduce their profile (save switching to speedplays or egg beaters.) Funny you should mention the 29" front...my frame has a dedicated 24" rear and while a 24/29 bike would make quite the frankenbeast, the owner of the company has actually ridden his personal frame that way a few times.

On a different note, I just came back in from a ride and my SS fitness is finally starting to come around, enough so that I've started tailing FS gearies in the woods, and met with some moderate success today. Unforetunately, the requisite speed is outstripping my body's comfort level on technical terrain with the rigid. I now have some serious wrist pain and forearm pump from the extended downhills and faster approaching obstacles. Looks like I might be investing in a suspension fork now instead. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.