Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everybody
I have a set of Bontrager Race X Lite wheels with the blue rim tape. Can I use just a set of Stan's valves to go tubeless or do I need to get the Stan's rubber rim strips as well. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
The blue strip is not the Bontrager tubeless rim strip. It will not work with the blue one and valves only. You either have to order the Bonty strip and wait for ages for it to arrive (judging on the stories on this forum), or buy Stan's yellow tape and strips.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yes you can....

Stans does make a valve stem that is compatable with Mavic, UST, Bontrager, etc. However as JeroenK noted you will need to get the proper rim strips. Unfortunately Bontrager grossly underestimated the demand for both 29 and 26" TLR rim strips for this season, especially the 29ers. I work for a Trek dealer and we've had 29er TLR rim strips on back order since June! If your in a hurry to go tubeless a Stans conversion kit will work on Bonty TLR rims. But it's hard to beat the full TLR system for reliability. You just may have to wait a while is all.

Good Dirt

·
old part timer
137 Posts
We just put mine back together with Stans yellow tape and rubber strips. They worked fine this morning. If my ordered Bontrager strips ever show up we may try them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have used strapping tape and homemade valves(cut from tube) with no problems. But that was with stans rims. Whats so different about a Bont. rim?

·
Registered
748 Posts
The best results we have had so far is to use velox tape and stan's rubber rim strips. The yellow tape is for the stan's rims, and is not needed for use with the stan's rubber strips. You can use the blue strip that came with your bonti wheels with the sta's strips if you like.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I just got back from a local Trek dealer who happened to have the Bontrager 29er tlr rim strips in stock. I'm assuming the blue tape comes off before the Bontrager rim strips go on (no one in the shop was sure one way or the other). I've used the Stan's system before but this is my first time with the Trek system.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
A friend has been running Race wheels with Stan's stems and yellow tape only on a couple of different tires for over a year and has had no problems. No rim strip - just the yellow tape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts