Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung's MPEG4 Sports Camcorder offers the ability to capture those thrlling moments. Wether you're snow boarding or skiing you can capture the moment with the remote lens.
SC-X105L
MPEG4 Sports Camcorder

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Camcorder is not onsale yet

MCF said:
Samsung's MPEG4 Sports Camcorder offers the ability to capture those thrlling moments. Wether you're snow boarding or skiing you can capture the moment with the remote lens.
SC-X105L
MPEG4 Sports Camcorder
It is not onsale yet. Samsung hasn't release it to the public.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I saw it at bestbuy yesterday i live in south fla dunno if we get stuff earlier or what. Looked pretty sweet to me, only thing that sucks is 512 is like 30-40 min of footage, i think tapes get signifcantly more? But the whole thing looked really sturdy and the little helmet cam was sweet. Nice system.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
camcorder accepts SD card

lobos8403 said:
I saw it at bestbuy yesterday i live in south fla dunno if we get stuff earlier or what. Looked pretty sweet to me, only thing that sucks is 512 is like 30-40 min of footage, i think tapes get signifcantly more? But the whole thing looked really sturdy and the little helmet cam was sweet. Nice system.
It suppose to accept SD card so you can record events as long as you desire.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
This camera just means crappy, shakey, poor quality helmetcam videos.

The fact that it uses a horrible capture format is just icing on a crappy cake.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
what other camcorders will be suitable ???

Pete said:
This camera just means crappy, shakey, poor quality helmetcam videos.

The fact that it uses a horrible capture format is just icing on a crappy cake.
If that camcorder is really bad, What camcorders do MTB riders suggest that will be suitable for outdoor filming?

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,175 Posts
Picard said:
If that camcorder is really bad, What camcorders do MTB riders suggest that will be suitable for outdoor filming?
The best cameras are the small Sony's. They will record minDV and have much better color and resolution. BUT if you watch reality TV and see those helmet cam shots, they almost always use the small lipstick type cameras. Those are much lighter, easier to ride with, and you can get a LAN controller to start/stop recording.

Yes miniDV cameras mounted to the head work best. Do people complain about the quality of lipstick cams? Well, they notice it but don't seem to mind. Either way you will have plenty of people who enjoy your videos.

www.viosport.com

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Picard said:
Cannon GL2 in your pack with a good lipstick cam always seemed the best compromise to me.

I've seen some decent (not great) helmet vids with a viosport lipstick but there are better ones out there.

Some people find a good camcorder that's light enough to secure to a helmet to avoid the loss in lens quality inherent in using most lipstick attachments.

Bug pete. He's got a wealth of know-how and has some really good vids he's made over the years.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Does anyone have a price on one? I'd just kind of accepted that the quality would be less-than-desirable, but probably still worth a look for those of us who would just use it for the occasional ride and don't want to throw down substantial money for a "Pete quality" setup.

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,175 Posts
kidwoo said:
Cannon GL2 in your pack with a good lipstick cam always seemed the best compromise to me.

I've seen some decent (not great) helmet vids with a viosport lipstick but there are better ones out there.

Some people find a good camcorder that's light enough to secure to a helmet to avoid the loss in lens quality inherent in using most lipstick attachments.

Bug pete. He's got a wealth of know-how and has some really good vids he's made over the years.
A GL2? Why ride around with a $2000 camera that is nothing more than a glorified recording deck when used with a lipstick cam? Any $500 miniDV with A/V would be just as good. The image quality of the GL2 comes from teh CCD, not the record heads.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Doug said:
A GL2? Why ride around with a $2000 camera that is nothing more than a glorified recording deck when used with a lipstick cam? Any $500 miniDV with A/V would be just as good. The image quality of the GL2 comes from teh CCD, not the record heads.
Very true.

But when you're done with the helmet cam, you still have a gl2 to play with. :D

That's just my thinking on the matter since to me, the handheld filming would be the priority. Helmet filming would be secondary. But you're right, a dedicated lesser beast would be cheaper. I only want to buy one camera so what I suggested would be my approach.

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,175 Posts
kidwoo said:
Very true.

But when you're done with the helmet cam, you still have a gl2 to play with. :D

That's just my thinking on the matter since to me, the handheld filming would be the priority. Helmet filming would be secondary. But you're right, a dedicated lesser beast would be cheaper. I only want to buy one camera so what I suggested would be my approach.
That makes sense. I'd go with a Panasonic 3CCD camera though. Cheaper and smaller. They don't have LANC though (remote control). These have very good image quality (much better than single CCD cameras, not quite as good as GL2, but probably not discernable unless viewed side by side). They don't have the audio features of the GL2 or the same quality zoom. But for riding and shooting this would be my choice. (I have a GL1 and the Panasonic)

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Doug said:
That makes sense. I'd go with a Panasonic 3CCD camera though. Cheaper and smaller. They don't have LANC though (remote control). These have very good image quality (much better than single CCD cameras, not quite as good as GL2, but probably not discernable unless viewed side by side). They don't have the audio features of the GL2 or the same quality zoom. But for riding and shooting this would be my choice. (I have a GL1 and the Panasonic)
I keep hearing about that thing. I've got money set aside and a friend whose getting rid of his GL2. Maybe I need to give that one a serious lookie before I commit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.