Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Randomhead
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The holes in the center of the board are too small, and the cutouts on the circumference are too big for the legs on the Lisa or Regina optics that I have. I think I'm going to end up cutting off the legs. Bummed.
 

·
Light freak
Joined
·
3,022 Posts
I ordered mine on square 10mm square MCPCB's. The legs don't line up with these either. Had to cut them off. Pretty sure the MCPCB's were ordered long before the Regina reflectors were even designed. Maybe in the future. How about it Welight?



***
 

·
One Gear
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
Everything fits together great until there's a piece of wire and some solder in the way. Try to order a couple extra and file a notch in the bottom of the reflector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
yetibetty said:
...

It still looks like the solder blobs could raise the reflector though
That is what I fear. But if you look close, the regina legs are a bit longer and when you set both parts the right way, the legs keep the regina slightly away from the PCB. It might be enough for the solder blobs, but....

.40AET said:
...file a notch in the bottom of the reflector
That's my plan if everything else fails...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,901 Posts
bravellir said:
But if you look close, the regina legs are a bit longer and when you set both parts the right way, the legs keep the regina slightly away from the PCB.
That is probably a result of the thickness of the MCPCB being less than Ledil designed around. Too bad their datasheet does not specify the position of the emitter relative to the reflector. I have found that positioning of the reflector or optic to have a big effect on beam quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Vancbiker said:
I have found that positioning of the reflector or optic to have a big effect on beam quality.
That is very true, the amount of led that goes inside the reflector changes dramatically the beam. I intend to sacrifice a Regina and do a few tests to see how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,901 Posts
chelboed said:
Mine set directly on the MCPCB. (20mm star)
I suspect that is the intention from Ledil.

bravellir said:
I intend to sacrifice a Regina and do a few tests to see how it goes.
Please post your results! I found that .25mm change in position makes a significant difference with a pelican headlamp reflector I modded.
 

·
Randomhead
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vancbiker said:
I suspect that is the intention from Ledil.

Please post your results! I found that .25mm change in position makes a significant difference with a pelican headlamp reflector I modded.
Just looking at the Cutter site, how do you get the Regina to fit on a 20mm star? It is not shown with any holes that are anywhere near 10mm apart.

It also doesn't explain why the lisa has the same leg dimensions and doesn't fit on a 10mm star. It would be a little silly to have a 10mm lens and a 20mm star.

I see that the 10mm star is made for the "clip" version of the Lisa, which has a little wider spacing of the holes
 

·
Randomhead
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chelboed said:
I took the legs off my Reginas
I figured that out after I posted. I should be able to machine the holes or trim the legs a little and make it fit. The Cutter stars are preferable to the led-tech stars even though you probably need two feed holes through the housing for the Cutter version.
 

·
A waste of time it is is
Joined
·
5,357 Posts
Has anybody found a suitable 20mm star to house a regina on an xpg?

Is this done without either cutting off the legs or grooving out the bottom of the regina for wires?

What is the verdict on the positioning of the regina in relation to the led/star to give optimal performance for a helmet light?

Cheers
 

·
A waste of time it is is
Joined
·
5,357 Posts
Ok, I sent Ledil a customer enquiry about the positioning and got this reply

"Regina reflector should have bottom base part against pcb.

Are those holes in PCB now having dia.2.0mm and c/c dimension 8.6mm?
(shown in datasheet Joni sent)
If yes, assembly should work.

Please note also that Regina has long pins that are originally designed for fixing reflector to backside of PCB by heat staking pins flat."


The heat staking explains why they seem to sit high against most mcpcb's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
bravellir said:
That is very true, the amount of led that goes inside the reflector changes dramatically the beam. I intend to sacrifice a Regina and do a few tests to see how it goes.
Just received the same 8mm xp-g & regina combo in the post from Led-tech, as you showed in your photo, bravellier. I'd be pleased to hear of your experiment results and if you ended up notching the base of the regina? Any photos?

Thanks, [email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
Bobblehat said:
Just received the same 8mm xp-g & regina combo in the post from Led-tech, as you showed in your photo, bravellier. I'd be pleased to hear of your experiment results and if you ended up notching the base of the regina? Any photos?

Thanks, [email protected]
Made this single Regina with a Ledtech one and did notch out the reflector .
was very easy with a small file .
then put on the wires and glued on the regina before whacking a bit of AA on and placing it in the case . a lot easier than keyhole surgery with a hot iron



didnt take any pics at the time though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Thanks Troutie ...... what's the recommended glue type for the Regina to the 8mm Led-tech .... and where did you put the spots of glue .... on the two legs or a good general splodge all round? You can see I'm new to this ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
troutie-mtb said:
Made this single Regina with a Ledtech one and did notch out the reflector .
was very easy with a small file .
then put on the wires and glued on the regina before whacking a bit of AA on and placing it in the case . a lot easier than keyhole surgery with a hot iron



didnt take any pics at the time though
I'm liking the little hex light Chris, did you machine it that shape? can we see some more pics please?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top