Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the dropper my bike came with Is much too tall so I'll be selling it. Looking at other offerings by ks I see a fairly priced lever operated dropper post. I kind of like that idea. It shouldn't be tough to reach back and drop, then stand up and reach back to raise. Less cables, less levers etc. bike came with a ks supernatural which is really stupid to me as the cable attached to the post and has to move up and down with the seat...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea when I got my 1st dropper, it had the option to be run either from under the saddle or from a remote. I gave the under the saddle thing a try for a bit, then installed the remote, then went back to the under the saddle lever to see if I'd notice and boy did I - once you really start to use a dropper, you'll end up using it so much that reaching under the saddle can be downright dangerous.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
There's a reason they went from common to questions like this; and why most don't even offer a non-remote dropper. If taking your hand off the bar to drop isn't a problem for you, you aren't using the dropper enough or at the right times.

Only upside to the lever I see, is you basically drop your post by grabbing your crotch. And the crotch grab to inevitable crash makes for quality video.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts

·
A Man Of The Truth
471 Posts
I've used both and I very much prefer the lever under the seat. My new bike has a reverb and I do not like it at all. If you can't take your hand off your bar for the 1.5 seconds it takes to put your seat up or down, then you've got other issues you need to worry about. The thing about using the under the seat lever, is that you are holding the seat when you hit the lever, so you are also using your hand to move the seat exactly where you want it, instead of trying to use your butt to guide the set to the right height. Plus when things inevitably age, lots of posts have an inner air chamber that cannot be refilled. This is a problem when you have a remote post. But not with the lever under the seat. Since your hand is already on the seat anyway, you can just pull it up if it doesn't spring up naturally.

I had the Crank Bros Joplin back when it was the Maverick Speedball. Then I had a crankbros, which is the exact same thing, and honestly not a great design for a seat post. Then I got a KS and it lasted me 7 years or so. I'm currently trying to find another one so I can ditch this rock shox reverb and it's awesome lever that jabs you in the thumb constantly for 4 hours while you ride.

If taking your hand off the bar to drop isn't a problem for you, you aren't using the dropper enough or at the right times.
It sounds like you are way over-thinking a dropper post. Up when you're pedaling, down when you're not. It's not that hard to look up the trail and know where to put your seat before you're actually in trouble.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Having a remote on a dropper is literally the most convenient thing. Why one would choose to have one that operates under one’s crotch region is beyond me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Makes as much sense as having downtube mounted shift levers like on a 1970 road bike.
=sParty
If one is going to get a crotch operated dropper, might as well get downtube shifters to complete the package. Taking both hands off the bars to shift and drop the post? #trailskills #oldschool #itsallintherider

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hilarity in this discussion.

True, it is potentially quite dangerous to reach for that lever at times.

It's a lot like reaching for the adjustment of a fork or a rear shock when you forgot to unlock them when you're already barreling downhill.

I hate that, and it is dangerous.

Now add the seat dropper. Yikes.

I have bikes with levers at the bar, and the crotch grab style. There's no doubt in my mind that the remote lever style is vastly superior.

But still, the seat post mount lever works pretty good for me. In many or most cases it's better than a rigid post.

You cannot ride as well downhill with an under the saddle nose seat post adjustment lever.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts